Question thread for our AMA with Alberto Nuñez of 3DMJ!

@paparazi257 Mind muscle connection - bro myth or gaintastic?

And what exactly does it mean? There are so many conflicting opinions out there, some say it's tweaking exercise to work better like trying to break the bar at bench press. For others it's flexing the muscle as hard as possible every rep and squeezing at the peak contraction. For some it's just feeling the muscle or only doing the active, instead of full, range of motion.

@ckxcr Another great answer. This IG post really resonated with me because I was having issues with DB OHP, it just didn’t feel right with my shoulder and felt unstable like it could lead to a dislocation in the future. Instead of trying to improve my “feel” and “remember cues” I switched to your program which uses the seated anterior felt press, which doesn’t put my shoulder in such a precarious position as the DB overhead press does.

Feeling very happy to have found your program and training philosophy.

@livingme7 To both listen to my moods when it’s something serious and ignore them when I’m just being a child. You understand which is which better than anyone else

@catholicmagus I would try sticking to just getting the data, creating the habit of tracking everything I eat regardless of if i follow the diet or not. Once you have that habit it's way easier.

@paparazi257 My knee joints and lower back muscles have been achey lately. (the lower back achiness actually limiting my strength at times) Do you have any tips for prehab/rehab work for either the lower back or knee joints?

Thank you.

@dawn16 Work with loads you feel don’t bottleneck you eventually

This will test your patience but be worth at the end. Joints are adaptive too, but they have their own pace, and it’s usually slower than the rate at which muscles adapt

@balu111 Absolutely

It will require more skill due to the lack of spacial constraints free weights over, but in theory you can do anything with a free weight than you can with a machine.

@ckxcr Can you elaborate on the “require more skill” part? My local rec doesn’t have much in the way of machines, so I’m subbing in dumbbells a lot of the time.

@followerb A machine has constraints.

Free weights don’t.

So it’s first up to you to decide alternatives for each movement and then you must execute them accordingly.

It’s shitty answers in a way, and I understand that. But figuring this out will make you a better lifter I’m the long term. For instance I would be 100% comfortable training at a planet fitness if need be.

Eventually your circumstances will help you turn shit into ice cream. Say a shitty hotel room gym or any other obstacle you face that is due to equipment

Back