Question thread for our AMA with Eric Helms of 3DMJ!

@gracegreen Since you’ve got the book, and thank you btw, I actually cover this in the book when discussing deloads and it differs by goal and experience level, and also on the pyramids website there are some questions I’ve answered (there’s actually ~1000 I’ve answered there) on this topic use the CTRL+F function with “deload”

@paparazi257 What is your recommended formula/routine for doing a deload? Is it a week long thing where you do half the weight, reps, and sets?

And how long should we rest between sets during a deload?

I often hear deload workouts should be much shorter but I'm not sure how to accomplish that. If I'm doing half the load or reps I can definitely rest for shorter time between sets since they aren't as fatiguing, but if I'm moving so much faster I could still end up with some pump/burn/fatigue as there is an increase in intensity this way and in that case am I now generating additional stress/fatigue on the body rather than promoting recovery like a deload should do?

For example, if the week before deload I bench press 200lbs for 3 sets of 5-10 reps and rest about 3 minutes between sets totaling about 20 to 30 reps.

Then in the deload week I do 100lbs for 3 sets of 5 to 10 reps, matching the exact reps in each set I did in the previous week.

During the deload I could easily rest 30 seconds or less between sets since they don't feel fatiguing at all, I could probably even do the same total number of reps as the working week (20 to 30 reps) in a single set if I wanted so I never know exactly how long I should be resting between sets when deloading or if there's something else to it I'm missing.

@inquisitive_0n3 Lots of ways to do it, none necessarily better than another. But ultimately in most cases you want a reduction in volume (by 1-2 thirds), and if needed (due to pain/stiffness/niggles) a reduction in load or cessation of specific exercises (most often squat and deadlift variants). This is based on tapering data and anecdote btw.

You can just decrease sets, or, like I like to do, just train 1-3 days less per week but with the same volume and effort. This works best for me psychologically as the session is still motivating, hard, exciting and I get just as amped for it, but I get the volume reduction, and I can choose what to put on those 2-3 days I train to exclude any movements I need a break from.

@livingme7 I would focus more on getting to an appropriate RIR, and moving the concentric with as much force as possible, and maintaining some control on the eccentric, so that gravity isn’t doing the lowering for you, regardless of weight or whether you’re enhanced/natty

@paparazi257 Hello Eric, do you think 4-16 sets per muscle per week is sufficient volume to optimize growth? Of course , with training to failure or close to. I have ever seen coach’s recommend 3-10 sets per week and have seen individuals get amazing results with 4 sets per week .

@uhuhuh There is not a one size fits all for volume. Some people respond to low, some to high. Any good coach will assess your history, preferences, goals, experience and then adjust based on what happens as they train you.

In the absence of this information, you can use the broad population data from meta analysis, and you’ll have better odds that 10-20 sets (counting ALL work, indirect or otherwise) per muscle group per week will likely be the sweet spot for “best” but not much better than slightly less…but, many people will be left or right shifted from here because they aren’t the same as the average.

@mikeygong The vast majority of the studies that inform those meta analyses are on studies with sets taken to or close to failure. With that said, based on other research, I suspect sets with ~80% of 1RM or higher, of at least 4-5 reps, probably don’t need to be to failure. Given most people can only do 6-10 reps with 80% however, that means sets of 4-8 at a 2-4 RIR. And then sets of 8+ probably more often in the 0-2 RIR range

@paparazi257 Do you think powerbuilding is a suboptimal approach to train and that it’s better to rotate between hypertrophy blocks and strength blocks rather than combining the 2 in one block ?

@jen256 Powerbuilding doesn’t have a universal definition in order to make a sweeping statement about it.

You can set up optimised approaches if your goal is to gain strength and size simultaneously that are designed with blocks more focused on each separately or within the same block.

Back