Weighted Vest Discussion + Help: For those who have owned/used weighted vests in the past which features should be avoided and which are must haves?

@carlf While I agree with the logic of this comment...
The reality is, the more you can streamline the logistics of your workout, the better and more enjoyable your workout will be. 🙂

@dinkold I also have experience with these vests:

1.Titin weight shirt - https://www.fitnessdepot.ca/J11QMO3...ression-shirt-system-medium-ttsc601mdblk.html - it’s only 8lbs so very limited usage. However, the weight is distributed throughout the shirt and is compressed against your skin so it feels very natural. Might be more useful for weighted rock climbing training (if that’s even a thing), or sprinting / jogging.

2.All Pro vest - https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000NGO9Q2
- budget option. Has steel cylinders placed in pouches around hips. The only advantage I see with this vest is that it is more compatible with a backpack than the short vests are.

Cheers,

@questant There was a guy at my climbing gym that carried his full read rack for training. A vest would be far less annoying. 8lbs would be perfect to simulate a full rack of climbing gear.

@arznick Full racks of climbing gear also sway around a shit ton and will fuck with your balance on rocks, so an 8lb vest would not be equivalent to climbing with a trad rack.

@ktj True, but it's not like they are risking injury with an 8lb best like the previous poster implied. You can simulate the weight with a vest, but not the awkwardness.

@arznick Eh, previous poster didn't specify what context they'd seen weighted training. If someone was, for instance, adding extra weight on a 10+ trad or a multipitch, yeah. That could be dangerous. But climbing is inherently risky, so it's all a question of how much more risk you're adding to the equation.

Overall, though, you're on point.

@arznick Those that I’ve seen are people who were never very good at climbing, and felt that bouldering v4s with 15lb weight best when they can barely do some v5s was a good way to improve. More static, endurance type climbing could benefit from low weight. Dynamic, fingery stuff? Great way to pop a pulley or fuck up an elbow/shoulder.

I’ve never seen any trad dudes with weight vests, probably cause like you hinted they already owned heavy shit they could use and were already climbing with it on a regular basis.

@old_orthodoxyusa I know you said rock climbing specifically, but I’m about to get a weight vested to train for mountaineering. Cant go hiking every day with a full pack, but can get on the stair climber and Jacob’s ladder

@old_orthodoxyusa I’ve actually done a fair bit of climbing training with a heavy (25-45 lb) weight vest. I find it’s really useful for developing better footwork, as you can’t be lazy and power through easier moves like you normally might.

@dinkold Both of those are pretty expensive for how small the weight is. 🤔I have this one by CAP. It's a little bit more pricey but for that, you can go up to 150 pounds.

I use it for Single Leg Squats. I can almost do an eccentric with it by myself which is cool because that's like 90% of my bodyweight right there. You'll have leg load forever. And upper body load too.

@dinkold Don't know if this applies to the ones you're looking at, but I bought my vest because it goes up to 80lbs. However, despite being 6'2" it really limits my range of motion for things like squats. So just make sure it doesn't get in the way

@dinkold I had a vest for awhile and I eventually sold it. One of the big considerations you should have is the size of the arm and neck holes and how they will fit as your body changes shape. I found as my shoulders got more broad and I got bigger lats my vest became really uncomfortable to wear.

@dinkold I have a Kensui Ez-vest Pro.

RedDeltaProject has a review about it.

I prefer the EZ to other vests and dip belts for ergonomic reasons, I find it much more comfortable and I can load standard plates on it.

I wouldn't shy away from using plates, if price isn't your main concern. In my experience, transportation is a non-issue, I can put them on, and walk to the park nearby me to train.