Weighted Vest Discussion + Help: For those who have owned/used weighted vests in the past which features should be avoided and which are must haves?

@dinkold I'd try to find a vest that can hold up to like 100 lbs. You'll build up to 3x20 with these 50 lb vests pretty quick.

Have you seen the kensui vest?

@dinkold I had a 60 pound weighted vest that had 10x 6lb sand bags. It served me well enough until I was able to go heavier than 60 lbs. Then, I bought a 140 pound vest that had 46x 3lb metal weights. I should have just bought the heavier one with metal weights from the beginning.

@dinkold I did a lot of research very recently on this, and eventually went with a 5.11 small back pack.

I have a 30lb sandbag in there plus some small plates. It's super comfortable with thick padded straps, and the sandbag makes it comfortable on my back.

I have also used it for other purposes like hiking so in all it's been a great purchase for me.

I found that vests were really expensive and limited in terms of weight I could add.

@dinkold I have a RUNFast/Max 80 lb vest. I used it to train for rock carrying, and found it very comfortable to wear for walking and stairs, and manageably inconvenient while carrying rocks. Although the vest is incrementally loadable, adjusting the load is pretty tedious, and is not something I'd want to be regularly doing during workouts. If I wanted to program work with a big variety of vest loads, I would look for something easier to adjust.

@thankful2 This is the one I have at home. My gym also has this and some other brands/models. Dunno why they diversified, but it's let me try out multiple ones and this is still my favorite.

For pull ups and dips, I still prefer hanging weights from a belt, but I use the vest for leg work, push ups, and rows from rings.

@alexkline I used it to train for an event, and it handled a few months of rough usage very well. I still have it, and may use it in the future, if my goals require it. It is my first and only vest, and I love having it.

@dinkold In the absence of weights at home during lockdown, I went weighted vest. Wear it throughout the recommended routine once a week. The other two times, I do the recommend routine in the week, I do it without weight vest and focus on the more advanced versions of movements. Now that I've got 100 kilos of bumper plates, barbell and rack on the way, plan to add weighted squats, deadlifts etc into the mix as well. Nothing wrong with mixing it up with weights and weighted vest alongside bodyweight training.
For reference this is the weight vest I use, I'm sure there are similar versions available from other vendors outside of Australia
https://www.ironedge.com.au/20kg-power-vest-black.html