100 Push-up Challenge at 50 BPM

roemknz

The notorious 100 push ups is commonly a goal attributed with mastering the push up. Not many get there but those that do surely earn bragging rights. And that’s exactly what the challenge I have in mind is: 100 nonstop push ups.

What’s the catch?

Doing it at 50 beats per minute. Every metronome click signals down, every other signals up (as such, completing the entire 100 should take 4 minutes). That being said, this is INFINITELY harder than simply doing 100 consecutive push ups. This provides for a killer shoulder, chest, and tricep workout all in one.

The Challenge in a Nut Shell:

Goal: last as long as possible following a 50 beat per minute metronome. One push-up is completed every 2 ticks. To ‘beat’ the challenge, you must complete 100 nonstop push ups obeying the following:

Rules

*its preferable, but not required to tuck elbows in rather than out

-Hands can not leave the floor

-Lagging behind metronome pace results in disqualification

-No excessive butts in the air (or sagging for that matter)

-Chest must at most be 2 inches from the floor on every push up

-you should make a dead stop both at the bottom and at the top of your push up

And that’s it. The difficulty of the challenge shouldn’t be underestimated - it’s a mental journey to say the least, and you’d be surprised how taxing a matter of minutes can be on nearly your entire upper body.

Here’s the metronome I used to do the challenge

And to those who’d like to give it a shot, good luck!

@roemknz Bring Sally Up is a different rhythm but might be good practice for the endurance of this. Okey dokey, I’ll give it a go with ya.

@jano936 It's actually hard at first but then gets easier extremely fast. First time I did 2mn30, trained normally for 2weeks just adding a bit of down Pushup hold and got to the end next time I tried.

@isimba When I read the title that's what I thought. Doing the push-ups themselves at a specific cadence is much more realistic.

Back when I used to run marathons my resting hr was in the mid-high 40s but that was a dead rest. I can't imagine doing even 10 push-ups and still being under 50.

@roemknz Serious question, would/should one also need to be able to do 100 rows (at a similar "tempo") to prevent muscular imbalances? A more general question...since so many training programs (including in the military) include no horizontal pulling exercises (instead, usually something vertical like a pull-up) are the dangers of muscular imbalance overstated?