3 Year Progress 117-170 (21M)

wandwaving

Started out like a lot of skinny kids and bulked hard for a year from around ~117 to 160, gaining about 40lb of fat and muscle. When quarantine hit, I had to adapt and I discovered calisthenics, adopting a hybrid style of training utilizing weightlifting, weighted calisthenics, and gymnastic rings. In this time, I leaned out considerably and spent about a year working my way from 145 back to 160. Finally, this year I bulked back up to 170 (my original goal weight!) and finally broke a year-long plateau in both muscle and strength gains!

Over these last 3 years, I’ve learned a lot about training, motivation, and discipline, and have had my fair share of ups and downs with the gains as a college student, especially when it came to consistency with eating, recovery, and the standard bouts of body dysmorphia and lapses in enjoyment that I’m sure we can all relate to.

Nevertheless, at 21 I’m glad to say that I have built a physique and lifestyle that I can truly be proud of. Here’s some of the progress I’ve made!

Side-by-Side 3 Year Progress Album

Starting Lifts (117 BW)
  • Bench: 85 / Deadlift: 65 / Squat: 95 / OHP: 45 / Pull Ups: 5 bodyweight reps
Final Lifts (170 BW)
  • Bench: 230 / Deadlift: 345 / Squat: 245 / OHP: 165 / Pull Ups: 27 bodyweight reps
  • Weighted Chin-Up: +135lb (3 plates) / Push Press: 170 / Larsen Press: 205 Footage
Skills Achieved
  • front lever (3s hold, 5s straddle, 15s half lay, tuck FL rows), ring muscle up, band-assisted iron cross, dragon flag, rings L to handstand, archer / bulgarian dips, assisted one-arm chin, wall HSPU
Routine
  • I followed a PPL split of my own design using a variation of nSuns and 5/3/1+ periodization for the main lift of the day, and linear double-progression on accessories. Auto-regulated for recovery.
  • Push A: Bench / OHP // Pull A: Weighted Pull-ups (Heavy) // Legs A: Squat / RDLs
  • Push B: OHP / Bench // Pull B: Volume Pull-ups (100+ reps) // Legs B: Deadlift / Front Squat
  • Accessories: either a hybrid gymnastic rings session or standard weightlifting bro accessory work
  • Rings: first train skills, harder dip / cross / pull-up variations, and then accessories (tiger extensions, pelican curls, face pulls, ring flyes) to finish off and get a pump.
Diet

As I mentioned earlier, my biggest struggle in my lifting journey by far was eating consistently. Starting as a skinny guy with a naturally lower appetite, force feeding was absolutely necessary for me to achieve the 40lb gain I experienced in the first year.

I’d estimate I’ve probably spent around year of these last 3 years in a catabolic state from insufficient caloric intake due to issues with appetite. I’ve learned that liquid calories are your friend (3% MILK to the moon), and being realistic with yourself about what’s feasible for your situation in that current moment is always number #1. Rome wasn't built in a day, but you can burn it to the ground in one.

The foundation of my diet is absolutely 3% Milk. I credit my weight gain to routinely drinking a half gallon every day, which is an easy 1200 calories on top of normal meals and provides a ton of protein. Other staple foods were rice, chicken curry, cashews, builder / gatorade bars, frozen desserts, potstickers, pizzas, gnocchi, kBBQ.

I tried other boneheaded methods of gaining weight (cough drinking olive oil) but for the love of god just don’t.

What’s Next?

I’m at the stage of my lifting journey where body dysmorphia has started to eclipse many of the achievements that I’ve made, as I now hold myself to a higher standard. A skinny kid long ago made a promise that I would not settle until I’d attained my true genetic natural potential. Ultimately, I would like to fill out my frame at around 175-180 lean, going for a Frank Zane-esque aesthetic.

Aesthetic Goals: Upper chest, top titty, chesticular changes.

Skill Goals: One arm chin-up, iron cross, 10s front lever, free HSPU

We're all gonna make it! 🔱💪🌴

Back