A Guide to Kettlebells For The Calisthenics Athlete

raykay

Intro​

You may ask yourself, "Didn't this person write a post about how sandbags are more well-rounded than kettlebells a few months ago?" Yes, I did. However, I have recently become obsessed a big fan of kettlebell training, and experienced the unexpected benefits and carryover to my calisthenics training. I believe that while the kettlebell is a bit more specialized compared to a sandbag, its unique benefits are very compatible with the needs of a calisthenics athlete. They are also a tool that I have found to be the most convenient and versatile to train with of the "Big Three" free weight options (barbells, dumbbells, kettlebells).

Before going into detail about why I believe the kettlebell is a great asset for a calisthenics athletes, I'll show a few quick examples of people training with a blend of bodyweight and kettlebell exercises. My point with these examples is to show that the synergy of kettlebells and calisthenics has already been recognized and used to great effect. They are a tool that can be seamlessly integrated into a bodyweight workout.

Comprehensive List of Kettlebell Exercises:

https://www.cavemantraining.com/caveman-kettlebells/list-kettlebell-exercises/

This is a great resource for a huge number of kettlebell exercises and variations. Not all exercises are covered, but this is the best starting point I have found.

Benefits of Kettlebells for Calisthenics​

1. Strength & Hypertrophy
    1. Compound Movements
      1. Kettlebells can address gaps left behind in calisthenics training, such as the hip hinge, squat, and row.
    2. Isolation Movements
      1. Kettlebells can be used for isolation movements, similar to how a dumbell is used. There are even specific kettlebell isolation exercises that take advantage of the shape of the kettlebell. Example:
    3. Grip & Core Strength
      1. Most kettlebell exercises will stimulate your grip and core, which has immediate carryover to your bodyweight training.
  2. Explosive Power & Endurance
    1. Kettlebell ballistic movements such as the snatch, clean & jerk, and swing allow you to develop explosive power while also training for muscular endurance and improving your cardiovascular fitness. The same exercise can be programmed to develop either quality, or a blend of both, depending on volume and intensity.
  3. Stability & Mobility
    1. Many kettlebell exercises have a large stability component, training the muscles of your hips, core, shoulders, and wrists to safely handle unstable loads.
    2. Kettlebell exercises also often have a large range of motion, helping you to become more strong and mobile.
  4. Convenience & Portability
    1. Kettlebells are space-efficient and easily portable. You can store them in a closet, corner of a room, or underneath a bed. Like gymnastic rings and bands, kettlebells can also easily be packed into a car and taken on road-trips, to outdoor locations, etc. They can be secured using a standard seatbelt to prevent them from moving around;
    2. You also only need a few different weights of kettlebells (2-3) to reap the full benefits, unlike barbells that need many plates and dumbbells that come in small weight increments. This means you can have a fairly cost-effective setup compared to barbells or dumbbells, plus you do not need to invest in racks or storage equipment that can add additional cost and take up more space.

Categorizing Kettlebell Exercises​

Kettlebells are often broken down into what is called ballistics and grinds. Ballistics are explosive, momentum-based movements such as the kettlebell swing, snatch, or clean & jerk. Grinds are everything else, including exercises like the goblet squat or turkish get up. I think the category of grinds is too broad to be useful, as the exercises included can be very different.

Instead, I break kettlebell exercises down into 4 general categories, with several common examples listed for each.

Optimizing Your Training​

Which size kettlebell is right for me?
  • Guide to picking the right size: https://www.kettlebellkings.com/pages/what-size-kettlebell-should-i-buy#:~:text=Whether%20you%20are%20new%20to,35%20lbs%20(16%20kg)).
  • Unlike dumbbells, kettlebells tend to come in larger weight increments. Thankfully, the versatility of kettlebells means you can get away with only using 2-3 different sized kettlebells. Do not worry about getting too many, just get one that is a good size.
    • Start with 1 kettlebell at a weight that you'd consider "intermediate"and base other kettlebells off of that standard. This may change over time as you become stronger.
    • I recommend testing out different weights of kettlebells at a gym or store before deciding which size to buy. It is not very easy to guess without any experience.
  • There are also some adjustable kettlebell options
Which type of kettlebell?

Kettlebells fall into 2 different broad types, hard-style and competition. Both are excellent and mostly interchangeable, they just have a few key differences.

Hardstyle
  • Pros
    • Larger handles, making it easier to hold with two hands. This may be more comfortable for people with large hands and wrists.
    • Well-designed for single kettlebell exercises, okay at double kettlebell exercises. If you are planning to train only using a single kettlebell, the hardstyle kettlebell is a bit more versatile.
    • Heavier maximum weight. Some hardstyle bells can exceed 90 kg (198 lbs). So if you are extremely strong with kettlebells, hardstyle bells give you more options for heavy single bell exercises.
  • Cons
    • Size of kettlebells varies depending on the weight. Beyond a certain point, hardstyle kettlebells can become very bulky and unmanageable, depending on how large your body is. This is usually a problem only at higher weights like 32 kg+ (70 lbs+).
    • The wider handle makes it easier to smack your forearms with certain ballistic exercises. It feels very unpleasant and can bruise your arms slightly.
Competition
  • Pros
    • Smaller handles, making it easier to hold with one hand. These are very well-designed for holding a kettlebell in the rack position and balistic exercises like cleans and snatches, as those are the kettlebell competition movements.
    • Well-designed for double kettlebell exercises.
    • Small handles make it a bit harder to hold with two hands.
    • Uniform size of kettlebells, regardless of the weight. This means no issues with kettlebells being too bulky at 32 kg+.
  • Cons
    • Smaller handles make it harder to hold with two hands, making it less versatile.
    • Competition kettlebells only go up to 48 kg (106 lbs). Realistically, this is only a problem for athletes who are very strong.
Single or pair of kettlebells?

Single kettlebell exercises are quite popular and effective. It is entirely possible to reap the benefits of kettlebells while only doing single kettlebell variations. However, pairs of dumbbells allow you to use much higher loads, and are far more stimulating. They are great for maximizing strength and hypertrophy with kettlebells.

I personally recommend getting a matching pair of moderate weight kettlebells rather than getting a really heavy single kettlebell. You will get more use out of a pair of 20 kg (44 lb) kettlebells than a single 40 kg (88 lb) kettlebell, for example.

Kettlebells of different weights?

A helpful compromise if you have several kettlebells, but no matching pairs, is to train mixed grip and anyhow grip exercises (see below).

Using kettlebells if you're very strong?

A rule of thumb for estimating how heavy your kettlebells need to be is by having each kettlebell be a third of the total weight of the barbell equivalent. Example: You can barbell front squat 150 kg (330 lbs), so with one kettlebell you can do a 48 kg (106 lb) goblet squat, or with a pair of kettlebells you can do a front rack squat with two 48 kg kettlebell (106 lbs each).

If you are fairly advanced in strength, such as a person who can easily deadlift 200+ kg (440+ lbs), then you're going to need to make a few modifications to continue to be challenged. Luckily, you can often use more than one of these options at the same time. Training with double kettlebells is going to be necessary.
  • Option 1: Exercise Variations with More Challenging Leverage
    • Switch from training exercise variations that are very easy for you, such as a standard kettlebell DL to a single leg DL .
  • Option 2: Use of Bands and Weight Vests
    • See below for an explanation on how to add load with weight vests and heavy bands.
  • Option 3: Holding More than One Kettlebell Per Hand
    • If you have a strong grip and are able to hold them both comfortably, you can hold two kettlebells in one hand for extra load.
    • Example: https://youtu.be/OKyQGP7IDV4
Ways to grip the kettlebell?

Standard
  • Goblet
    • An easy grip close to your center of gravity. Cannot be loaded to one side.
  • Suitcase
    • Good for working with heavy weights and/or pulling movements. Can be loaded to one side.
  • Rack
    • A more challenging way to hold the kettlebell than the goblet. Can be loaded to one side.
Situational
  • Anyhow/Mixed Grip
  • Bottoms Up
    • The "ball" of the kettlebell is further away from you, making the exercise more challenging and harder to stabilize.
  • Behind The Head
    • Useful for replicating rear-loaded movements, such as the back squat or good morning.
  • Overhead
    • Good for training overhead stability and mobility.
  • Shoulder
    • A position similar to the rack position, but often easier. Similar to loading in a fireman's carry.
How to combine kettlebells with other equipment?
  • Resistance Bands: https://youtu.be/Z77pGde9GjM
    • Resistance bands are very convenient and can be used to add intermediate load between different kettlebell sizes. They can also change resistance curves for an added challenge.
    • Strong bands are great for making exercises like kettlebell deadlifts challenging enough to be comparable to barbell equivalents. If you're a very strong deadlifter and/or squatter, it may be more practical (and far cheaper) to invest in heavy bands than to try and acquire very heavy and bulky kettlebells.
  • Weight Vests
    • Another way to add some extra load. Good for calisthenics kettlebell variations as well as lower body exercises like squats and burpees. These are more situational than resistance bands, but also allow you to keep your hands free.
  • Dip Belt

Programming​

Here are some example templates of what a hybrid kettlebell/calisthenics program might look like.

BEGINNER

Strength/Hypertrophy Workout (Beginner)

A standard strength program. Pick 1 exercise from each category.

Upper Body
  • Press
    • Vertical: Kettlebell Overhead Press or Dips or HSPU
    • Horizontal: Pushup or Kettlebell Floor Press
  • Pull
    • Vertical: Pullup or Kettlebell Pullover
    • Horizontal: Kettlebell Row, Kettlebell Bent Over Arm Extension, Bodyweight Row
  • Accessory
    • Kettlebell Curls, Tate Presses, Bodyweight Curls
    • Rings Chest Flies, Rings Face Pulls, Kettlebell Side Chest Press
Core
  • Rings Rollout or Kettlebell Side Bends
Lower Body
  • Legs Press
    • Kettlebell Goblet Squat, Kettlebell Lunge, Pistol Squat, Weighted Pistol Squat (Kettlebell)
    • Glutes: Kettlebell Hip Thrust, Bodyweight Single Leg Hip Thrust
  • Legs Pull
    • Hip Hinge: Kettlebell Swing, Kettlebell Deadlift, Back Hyperextension, Weighted Back Hyper (Kettlebell)
    • Leg Curl: Nordic Hamstring Curl, Sliding Hamstring Curl
  • Legs Accessories
    • Kettlebell Calf Raises
    • Bodyweight or Weighted Tibialis Raises
INTERMEDIATE

Conditioning/Explosive Circuit Workout (Intermediate)

Focused on explosiveness and conditioning. EMOM (every minute on the minute). Complete 4-8 rounds. Go through each circuit once before repeating.

Circuit 1
  • Burpees
  • Kettlebell Swings
  • Mountain Climbers
Circuit 2
  • Explosive Pushups
  • Kettlebell High Pulls or Plyometric Bodyweight Rows
  • Kettlebell Half Snatch or Box Jumps
Circuit 3
  • Explosive Pullups or Muscle Ups
  • Walking Lunges or Duck Walks
  • Kettlebell Jerks or Jumping Jacks or Jump Rope
GPP Workout (Intermediate)

A quick "bang for your buck" workout that trains a little bit of everything. This introduces the high-skill movement of the Turkish Get Up, as well as complexes. I recommend training the second and third circuits as ladders. The goal is to complete this workout as quickly as possible, without form breakdown. Make rest times shorter to increase difficulty. Complete 2-4 rounds.
  • A kettlebell "complex" is when you go through all the exercises in one continuous circuit. They are a way to save time and add an additional challenge. They are also very fun!
  • A kettlebell "ladder" is explained here: https://kettlebellsworkouts.com/ladder-workouts/
Circuit 1 (Conditioning Focus)
  • Kettlebell Swings
  • Turkish Get Up
  • Jump Rope or Burpees
Circuit 2 (Strength Focus)
  • Armor-Building Complex
  • Pushup + Renegade Row Complex or Pushup + Deadlift + Bent Over Row Complex
Circuit 3 (Accessories + Loaded Carry)
  • Pullups + Sliding Hamstring Curls Superset
  • Loaded Carry (Suitcase, Farmers, Rack)
    • Train for time, load, or speed.
ADVANCED

Mobility/Stability Workout (Advanced)

A more advanced workout focused on high-skill movements and building unilateral stability and mobility.

Circuit 1 (Push)
Circuit 2 (Pull)
  • Side Lever (Human Flag) or Back/Front Lever Work
  • Kettlebell Windmill
Circuit 3 (Hybrid)
Circuit 4 (Accessories + Loaded Carry)
  • Pullups
  • Sliding Hamstring Curls
  • Loaded Carry (Suitcase, Farmers, Rack)
    • Train for time, weight, or speed.

@raykay I have long thought more people here could benefit from Kettlebells. If you're into Bodyweight movement, Kettlbells (and clubs and Maces) are all great additions and feel right at home for all the reasons people chose to focus on bodyweight - low cost, high variety, low space requirements, some skill work and it all translates into functional power, bullet proofing and longevity.

@jesus4gaveme03 My home gym has a sandbag, clubs, maces, and kettlebells. They are incredibly complementary to body weight routines. And honestly are pretty affordable if you buy one once every 4-6 months. It takes a lot of time to comfortably build up to adding 5 extra pounds to a mace, for example. In a couple years you’ll have a really nice collection.

I love mixing in a lot of different movements into my workouts to keep from getting bored, and better mimic functional movements that I do in day to day life. Also you can pretend to be some crazy medieval warrior swinging a big ole mace around.

@jesus4gaveme03 You can do so much with kettlebells. My favorite workout is when I do double high rows. It is a great warm up, a finisher, and as a normal workout. You dont need to overload yourself and pushing hard for good swings really builds explosiveness and grip.

@raykay Good read, I have only one question:

Kettlebells seem like an interesting option for supplementing lower body workouts when doing calisthenics. However, it seems like further "progressions" of exercises inevitably start to involve upper body, for example swing vs jerk or goblet squat vs overhead squat.

So, when, let's say, on one day I do pull-ups and pike push-ups as an upper body workout, and then the next day kettlebell high pulls and overhead squats, I am basically hitting the same muscles as I did with pull-ups and pike push-ups on my "leg" day. That seems like a bit of an issue, right?

@fearisnothing You don't necessarilly need to move to more complex progressions like the overhead squat, I'd simply add difficulty with things like bands and techniques like ladders and complexes. You're not going to be able to use as much weight for some very challenging progressions like the overhead squat, so it is not optimal for heavy leg training. If you are still concerned about it just train exercises using the rack position, and integrate exercises like somersault squats, kickstand squats, lunges, good mornings, etc.

However, you are correct that many kettlebell exercises have an overhead component. While the same muscle groups are worked, the similarities end there. You'll find that this ends up mostly being stabilizing and using momentum rather than being similar to a compound movement. Ballistics are not usually something you train with a heavy enough load for it to be a major factor.

You may have some initial fatigue, but after your body becomes accustomed to kettlebells it should not be too big of a deal. Again, ballistics aren't usually performed with that much weight. If you look up kettlebell sport there's footage of many people completing these movements for dozens and dozens of repetitions. But rarely does anyone use anything heavier than a 28 kg bell.

You'd be more likely to run into recovery issues if you were training with more similar movements, like the kettlebell press, push press, or row. At that point you'd be potentially hitting some redundancy and would need to program accordingly.

If your upper body still gets fatigued from ballistics after a few weeks, you can just prioritize swing and clean variations and that would have you covered. There are plenty of different variations to occupy you.

@raykay Thank you for an in-depth response. One more quick question if you don't mind - how do you feel about supersetting hip hinge ballistics like swings with pistol squat progressions?

@fearisnothing Absolutely a great idea! Things like swings are great to superset with leg pressing movements. They're not nearly as taxing as a deadlift so you can move between the two quite quickly.

This sort of complex where you pair hip hinges and leg pressing is extremely common. Below is an example of a really simple one, the clean to pistol squat. You can experiment with your own combos of course. The clean is just a good starting point because you end up in a rack position, ready to drop into a pistol right away.

Another good idea is to tweak the ratios, maybe you prefer to do 2 swings and then 1 pistol? That sort or thing. That's good to do when one exercise is much more challenging than another.

@fearisnothing Complexes are both tough and time-saving. They're a staple of kettlebell training and one of the best parts about the kettlebell as a tool. And because it's just a way to structure exercises, you can fine-tune them to focus on anything you want. You can attack so many qualities of fitness in an incredibly short amount of time.

I always hated those gimmicky "full body home workout in 10 minutes" clickbait articles, but kettlebells are a tool you can actually do that with. They're the real deal. The more I use them, the more I believe in them.

@raykay Excellent source of info. I too have taken a liking to kettlebells. I often start my home BW circuit with a round of kettlebell swings. Depending on the day, I'll switch from BW squats to goblets, and may switch my inverted rows to bent over KB rows instead. Such a versatile tool

@raykay I really appreciate this contribution, OP. I'm about 4 months in to Functional Strength Training w KBs and bodyweight and I'm starting to want to learn new moves. This looks like a great reference for me. Saved and will likely use very soon.

@raykay If anyone is following this, I'd suggest looking into Dan John's YouTube channel for some needed additional context.

In addition to being a no nonsense strength coach, he has a lot of KB expertise. He would tell you that some of these exercises have a bad safety profile --e.g. definitely bent press and 1 arm swings (I think 2 arm snatches as well) and I don't think he likes loading up Turkish Getups or Windmills. There's probably more. There are different viewpoints on safety but his is definitely worth considering. He also has demonstrations and variations/progressions like the Bulgarian Goat Bag as a progression to swings for people who don't 'get' hip hinges, and e.g. the half kneeling press as an extremely nice variation of the overhead press. He is also somewhat obsessed with loaded carries and known as the creator of the Goblet Squat.

@raykay Great post! The details and structure is astounding, you must have put a lot of effort to formulate it in such an easy to understand way. :)

I have been incorporating kettlebells into my training since 2017, and still use the same bells, started with 16 kg, then upgraded to 24 kg. Best bang for buck fitness equipment for home use bar none!

My favourite exercises are military press, high windmill and swings. I confess I don't like TGU's.

@taeniura Thank you!

I'm in the same boat, my 16 kg pair has gotten constant use. I spend about 90% my time working with the 16 kg and 20 kg pairs. I do have some 24's and 28's that I'm working up to. And a lonely 32 haha.

Now that I have a better idea of what kettlebell training is like, I imagine I'm going to at most pick up another 32, and probably one adjustable competition bell. It's pretty amazing how much utility you can get out of just 2-3 different weight increments. Getting pairs made that even more true.

I too hate TGU's. I starting doing them as a warmup when I'm completely fresh and that has actually helped me finally improve them. They clearly have benefits, even though they suck and take forever to do. Besides that I am a big fan of snatches and presses. Snatches win out over swings for me because it's a bigger ROM with less fatigue on your grip.