How do y’all afford protein foods😭

dikaioumenoi

I keep seeing everyone with all these cool finds, then I search up the price and I’m like -😳

I’m not talking about this sub specifically (I don’t think I’ve seen it here) but more so other fitness and diet related subs.

I struggle to meet my protein goals so badly. Like the volume of meat you have to eat is draining and unappetizing at times. Yogurt is carrying me right now🥲

@dikaioumenoi i suggest trying cottage cheese! it's (at least in my area) waaaay cheaper than a yogurt and the protein amount is insane. if you don't like the texture, then blend it with a little bit of milk and it turns into yogurt like substance.

another recommendation is protein powder. it's not really cheap, but there are 30 portions and if you calculate cost per serving it is pretty affordable.

@kmaynard I hated the texture of cottage cheese, so I blended it and add it to pancakes for extra protein 🙂 so much better than just eating it straight.

@mgp2675 There are some new cottage cheese brands out there with a much different texture. Good cultures texture is not your ordinary cottage cheese. It’s almost addicting how good it is

@mgp2675 You're welcome! I ended up using it because I didn't want to use my vanilla Greek yogurt, so it worked out great in the pancakes! You can also mix them into scrambled eggs.

@dikaioumenoi It tastes kinda like Greek yogurt, but it’s curds so the texture puts some people off. I actually really like the texture. I’ve found smooth cottage cheese before too though if you prefer that.

But I usually blend in a smoothie or smoothie bowl. Sometimes I’ll eat it with smoked salmon on rye crackers with lemon juice and everything bagel seasoning. The low sodium options taste super bland to me so I usually use those for blending.

@dikaioumenoi Honestly, not like much lmao. I use it in place of mayo in a lot of recipes. It’s a great way to add moisture without cheesey flavours or fat. I’ve even added it to bruschetta and noticed almost zero difference. If it’s too ick on its own you can add it to pasta and it makes it a bit richer and thicker.

@dikaioumenoi well, if blended with milk - it tastes like unsweetened yogurt, and if not - like regular cheese but without salt and in clumps, so be aware of that and don't repeat my mistakes and think that you can just add berries and be good to go. i usually have it with sugar free syrup/jam and berries/fruits, and if blended - it's a regular milkshake/smoothie, if not (my fav lately) - sweet something between yogurt and fruit salad.

my rule of thumb: if you already like dairy or at least neutral - def try it, if not - you will hate even with copious amounts of sweetness added to it.

@dikaioumenoi My favourite is cottage cheese with stirred in almond butter, honey and chopped banana. It's a great healthy "dessert". I go through tubs of cottage cheese and almond butter like this.

For savoury, you can spread it on a toasted bagel or add it to your pasta sauce for thickness!

Back