How to progress pull-ups? (F25)

@notmyname Well first off, losing progress in a week is a bad sign that during your rest periods you aren't feeding your muscle properly.

Going a week without working a muscle group should offer you larger recoveries and optimal strength when going back in. Try adding BCAAs to your diet daily, including and especially on recovery days.

Secondly, doing pull ups will absolutely help you grow the strength to do more pull ups. It will be a slow growth tho, seeing maybe 1-2 extra reps after recovery and max attempt.

To really help boost your max, you'll want to use pull ups as a warm up on back day.. 1-2 sets of max then work your lats (upper and lower), rear delts, lower traps and mid back. Then at the end of your workout, use Assisted pull ups, complete till failure.

All these muscle groups go into a proper pull up. Strengthen your entire back to help you progress in pull ups.

@notmyname If all you want is to increase your pull-up numbers, grease the groove is insanely effective. I went from like 2 to 14 in less than 12 weeks... I want to say it was as little as 8 weeks but can't remember exactly.

Otherwise, increase to at least twice a week.

@notmyname Do a ladder where you take 10 second break per pull up. So 1, 10 seconds, 2 20 seconds and so on. Maybe go to 4 at first then back to one.

Take 5 minutes or so then do it again. Also do chin ups the same way on a different day.

You can grow your numbers this way. Use full range of motion, total dead hang to chest touching bar.

I believe in you!

@notmyname Thumb-over grip is a bit easier progression and may help you add 1 or 2 more reps to get some more volume in a set. Then try to do 4-6 sets X 5 reps. Or use appropriate resistance bands to help you get 3X10, or 4X8, or 5x6, 2 to 3 times a week. So work at closer to 80% of max and more reps. You should aim to do 15 sets a week with 6-8 reps per set.
Then go from there.

@notmyname Buy a pull-up bar that you can hang in the doorway at home. Do like two pull-ups 3 or 4 times a day. Slowly progress from there.

Or, when you go to the gym, try to add a little bit of weight to your pull-ups. You can buy a think that you hand around your waist that you can add weight to. I'd try just a few pounds at a time at first.

@notmyname Pick a doorway in your house that you pass through a few times a day. Hang a pull-up bar on said door. Every time you pass through the door do as many pullups as you can.

It's a randomized grease the groove that sneaks in volume into your daily life.

@notmyname To progress in pull-ups, you need to increase your own relative strength mainly in your core and upper body.

Consider adding variations of the pull-up to your workouts. Commandos are a personal favorite of mine, and I highly recommend checking them out.

Always maintain perfect form and high intensity. After you become a bit more advanced, pyramid sets and weighted pull-ups helped me grow my back a ton. Incorporate bands and negatives to help you push past failure.

Auxiliary exercises I would recommend: scapula retraction, face pulls, hanging knee raises, overhead presses, single arm lat pull downs with a twist, rows.

For context, I'm (M32) 6'0" 145lb and can do 25+ from a dead hang. I love pull ups and do them nearly every day. This exercise has given me so much more confidence being a smaller guy in the gym. Hope this helps and keep up the great work!

@notmyname Surprised nobody have mentioned Kboges.
I think you're a perfect candidate for his pull up mastery program.
Do this program 3 nonconsecutive days per week, like Monday Wednesday and Friday. Depending on your starting max, this program is pretty much guaranteed to increase your max by 50-100% in 8 weeks.

Day 1

3 max sets. These are essentially sets to technical failure.
Keep your rest at 5 minutes between sets

Day 2

10 sets with 50% of your best set on your first max attempt
Keep rests at 1 minute between each set
Progression- do not increase reps until you reach all of your sets at the prescribed rep range, and after that, increase target reps by 1
You rep count is determined by day 1 performance, and is NOT adjusted to new PR’s as the program continues, instead you increase reps by 1 per set as you perform all 10 sets with your target rep count.

Note: It is common to be unable to complete all 10 sets at your target rep range. This is ok. Just get what you can and try to complete more sets at your target reps the following week.

Day 3

Ascending ladder workout, starting with 1 rep, and working up to as many rungs as you can do before fatigue prevents your from exceeding your previous rung.

DO NOT TRAIN TO FAILURE DURING THE LADDER WORKOUT

For instance, say you perform 1, then 2, then 3 then 4 , but 4 is starting to get really challenging and you aren’t confident you could get 5, well then you would stop the ladder there, reset back down to 1, and repeat the process.
Perform 5 total ladders
Take 30 seconds* between rungs and ladders

@notmyname I suggest you to start working on your pulllup 3 times per week and increasing sets even more maybe to 5 or even more if you can with max pullup in each set aim for your best record, and if you can't do more set or reps you can use a resistance band, negative pullup or Australian pullup but the key is putting your muscles under tension with more sets and more reps so your total reps should be higher every week but 5-7 sets is enough and never go to failure due to high risk of injury keep 2 reps in reserve. and one more things rest as much as you want but less or equal to 2 minutes.

I hope this help you, if you have any question feel free to DM me I will be happy to help

And also you should know you're already a goat for doing 5rep as a female I barely know a girl in person who can do even 1 pullup

@notmyname The assisted pull up machine helped me a lot, you wanna pull up and resist the fall. Can also take a chair to get the highest holding position then resist falling with your arms and back. Remember to stretch and rest well

@jws6262 This worked for me. I was doing banded pull
ups to gain volume and I can do them unassisted now with no problem. Also train with lat pull downs and similar excursuses.

@notmyname When I got up to sets of 40 I think I was doing pull-ups daily but never hard enough to get them super sore. I did a lot of negatives where you explode on the way up then slowly lower yourself down, stop at the bottom then explode up. If I could do 15 or so of these then I could do 35 to 40 at full speed.

@notmyname Once-a-week will work. But make sure that every time that session comes up, you increase the TOTAL volume you do. For example, if you do 3x2 today, thats 6 TOTAL reps. Next session, you should aim for 7 total reps. You can do that by doing 4x2,2,2,1 or 3x2+1,2,2 or any such thing like that.

I'd recommend using rest-pause training to help with that. Do a rep, come down and rest for 20-30s, do another rep etc.

I did that for One Arm Chin-Ups and built from doing one to being able to do basically 4 on one arm in a row. It will work for two arm chin-ups, too.

@notmyname if 10 is your goal, then you need to train 10, even if it means resistance bands. do 10.

you could do a 5x5 or 10x3. either way you're getting volume. when you're done with pullups, dip belt with weight for scapular shrugs are good and helps with grip strength.

but yes, you also do need to increase the number of days. i used to do p/p/l which would give me 2 pull days, which worked for a while, now i'm doing 3x push/pull days. find the volume and frequency that works for you.

@notmyname We’ll typically once the pull up is full you can gauge the progress by its droopyness. Ohh sorry wrong Reddit. You meant pull up for muscles. Stay at home dad mistake. 😬 On that note make sure you stay on push ups if you get away from pull ups. Core training in general will keep your strength up. Planks. Sit ups. 👍🏽

Back