Question thread for our AMA with Eric Helms of 3DMJ!

@paparazi257 Hi Eric, long time fan.

I have a question regarding lengthened partials and lengthened training in general. It looks like there is a bit of a split in thought regarding the actual benefit and efficiency of this style of training. Do you think that every muscle group benefits from this style of training? And do you think that the theory that Chris Beardsley has regarding lengthened partials sort of invalidates the perceived superiority of them over full ROM or partials in other positions?

@ecclossians Theories are great, as they are meant to be tested, they go hand in hand with empirical data. Theories should be updated to align with empirical data. Regarding lengthened partials I’d be totally fine with anyone who is a bit skeptical regarding their efficiency over full ROM training because we have only a handful of studies, a couple with similar outcomes comparing lengthened partials and a few more showing better outcomes with lengthened partials compared to full ROM. What’s cool is there is more in the works and we’ll have clearer knowledge soon. To my knowledge we have data on quads, calves and glutes where lengthened partials clearly out performed full ROM. Regarding lengthened training in general though, we have a lot of data. We have data comparing same ROM, but a more stretched muscle or a higher tension at a longer relative length in calves, triceps, biceps, quads, and hamstrings to my knowledge. Further we have tons of data in isometric training at longer relative lengths resulting in superior hypertrophy, which isolates the effect of muscle length independent of range of motion. So, yeah.

@paparazi257 Hey Eric! Long time follower/listener of your content.

What’s your opinion on incorporating pure strength work into a hypertrophy program? I know that working in multiple different rep ranges is generally considered better, but what about low rep stuff? Any benefit as far as hypertrophy/physique goes?

@sisi He wrote this in his book muscle and strength pyramid (which is really good btw)
Hypertrophy: Perform ⅔ – ¾ of volume in the 6–12 rep range, remaining ¼ – ⅓ split between the 1–6 and 15–20 rep ranges, at a 5–10 RPE.

@sisi I think there’s an argument for training across the 4+ rep range spectrum up to 20-30 reps or so, primarily pairing appropriate rep ranges with appropriate exercises. For example RIR at higher loads doesn’t really matter for stimulus and somewhere around 4-5 reps is where a hard set “counts” on equal footing. So doing sets of 4-6 at a 2-4 RIR is a good way to go on heavy lower body compounds to reduce discomfort and cardiorespiratory fatigue that you get with higher rep training on these lifts

@paparazi257 Hi Eric! I've learned a lot from you over the years. Thanks for doing this.

My question is about progressive overload for hypertrophy. Do you see progressive overload as a threshold or something that has to have a variable increased? For example, as long as I'm training around 1-2 reps shy of failure, am I doing enough to make hypertrophic changes in the long term? Or do I need to increase in sets, reps, load, technique, etc in order to achieve muscular hypertrophy?

@cuth6et Good way to think of this: “is there sufficient overload to grow?”

That encompasses more than just proximity to failure, so you also need to think about other variables. Primarily, how much total work am I doing (volume), and what vehicles (exercises) am I using to deliver the overload to each muscle? Once you’ve got that down, you should observe progress occur, at whatever rate is reasonable for your training age and for you, individually. Obviously that’s all easier said than done, but assuming you get all that down right (enough) progress will occur, meaning your loads and/or reps will go up, and that will help ensure the stimulus stays sufficient to induce further progress. When the progress stops, or slows more than it should (which is hard to assess, but assuming you can), then you have to consider manipulating variables again to ensure the overload is sufficient to induce progress again.

@paparazi257 Dr. Helms, I love the Muscle & Strength Pyramid books. I'm actually using the novice bodybuilding routine now while I'm on a cut. My question:

Since you've published the Training Pyramid book and written related blog posts to progression, have you implemented any other forms of progression in you or your clients' programs (e.g. dynamic double progression, double progression, etc..) and found pros and cons?

@fateeadams I don’t think for hypertrophy it matters too much, tbh. It’s moreso ensuring that the total stimulus stays sufficient to produce growth, regardless of whether or not load increases faster or slower. So if the volume is appropriate and the RIR is as well, they are all viable pathways to Rome. And I love dynamic double progression.

@judithwiegand It’s kind of not really a style of training imo, it’s letting training emerge from your needs and what you individually respond to, without putting arbitrary limits on what muscles you train on any given day. It’s what we call “inside out programming.” So you establish the exercises, volume, and their distribution across the week for each muscle group and let the split emerge. If someone needs a high volume for their upper body, and a low volume for their lower body, for example, you will end up needing to do some upper body training with lower body, and you probably don’t want to dump all your lower body training into a single day, even though you can, just because it creates a really large recovery sink on that day. Likewise, you can only do so much upper body training on any given day. So you end up the split I described in my interview with Jeff. But you take someone else, with different needs, they would arrive somewhere else.

For example, this offseason, for the first time in like 12 years I’m actually purposefully trying to bring up my lower body (and not just my calves this time lol), because I’m (finally) no longer bottom heavy. So instead of 5-6 upper body days with 0-3 lower body exercises on each day like I was doing before, I have a split that is as follows:
Chest/back/shoulders
Legs/arms
Off
Upper
Lower
Upper (shoulders arms emphasis)
Off

If you’re interested in learning more about how to program like this - and sorry to shill - definitely check out our Vault Course “Bodybuilding Program Design”

@jj6211 As someone who is bottom heavy myself, I’m very interested and will likely purchase. Thank you for your detailed answer, I appreciate all the work and research you do!

@jj6211 Hey Eric, I know it’s a few days late but I had a question on this.

I love the inside out programming and letting the “split” naturally occur (although for me it usually just ends up being like a full body haha)

My question is, is there any concern for spreading your lifts out too thin? For example, if I do 3 sets of chest 3 times per week, rather than 9 sets one day, is there a minimum stimulus threshold I’m not achieving? Are there any downsides to getting a smaller stimulus (3 sets) multiple times in a week than a huge one (9 sets) once in a week?

Or if I’m just in the weeds here let me know!

@josieyy It was either Eric or Menno who was asked this on SSD Abel's podcast before, and they said there was no evidence for there being a per session minimum.

Back