Question thread for our AMA with Eric Helms of 3DMJ!

@paparazi257 I know you have personally found success with using high volumes for your upper body, but what are your thoughts on this critique review on high-volume training, specifically with studies released from Schoenfield’s lab?

Buckner, Samuel & Moreno, Enrique & Baxter, Holly. (2023). The dose-response relationship between resistance training volume and muscle hypertrophy: There are still doubts. Journal of Trainology. 12. 29-36. 10.17338/trainology.12.2_29.

@treegreentrey Most of the data on higher volume training being associated with greater muscle growth is not out of Schoenfeld’s lab. If you wanted, for some reason, to throw that all out, the relationship would still be observable. And I’ll quote a recent post I made:

“You can identify a bias by noticing when you apply skepticism to information that counters your beliefs vs confirms it.

For example, you believe low volume failure training is best, so you claim high volume training studies finding superior hypertrophy are only due to transient damage/swelling but don’t level the same claim at studies where training to failure was better than not, despite both using the same methods & both failure & high volume being associated with higher damage/swelling.”

I think that applies to some speculations in that review and some claims I’ve seen in similar veins

@paparazi257 Eric, in your experience, how do periodization models for advanced athletes differ from those for intermediates? Can you discuss the efficacy of block periodization versus undulating periodization for athletes who have hit a plateau in their training?

What are your thoughts on advanced recovery techniques like cryotherapy, compression therapy, and float tanks? Are there any emerging recovery methods that you find particularly promising for bodybuilders?

How do you stay updated with the latest scientific research, and what's your process for integrating new findings into your training philosophies and methodologies?

If an advanced training method or supplement is proven to offer only a marginal gain, say 1-2%, in muscle hypertrophy or strength, do you think it's worth incorporating into an athlete's regimen, considering the cost and effort? Why or why not?

@jgeral0172 Ok, first I’d like to take a moment to shill for MASS. Of course not everyone might want to subscribe to get all our content, and might not think it’s worth it, but given the breadth and topics in your interest, I’m confident you would, as we literally have double digit numbers of articles (with audio summaries) and videos on periodization for strength (and hypertrophy), recovery modalities, and training methods and supplements that are or aren’t worth it, and when/why…and how do I stay up with the latest data? In part, by making content for MASS (and also by being an active researcher at AUT).

Now with all that said, let me give you the high level answers.

Periodization for less advanced athletes is marked by an assumed faster rate of progression in general, and potentially less need to try to include maintenance work for high level adaptive qualities developed in prior blocks, as more general training is more likely to maintain lower level adaptations in less advanced athletes. This is a more general statement mind you, as periodization should be very sport specific. But, for example, a high school running back might be able to maintain their 100m sprint time they developed during track season by doing agility drills, plyometrics and aerobic work during their football season, Usain Bolt would not be able to.

Block periodization is not THAT well defined such that I think you can meaningfully compare it to another model head to head and make blanket conclusions. However, in the case of DUP, I think it’s better described as a programming strategy rather than a periodization strategy, as it primarily operates and is distinguished by changes within-micro cycle. Ultimately, they are not mutually exclusive. You could have a volume block consisting of 10’s on Mon, 8’s on wed, 6’s on Friday, followed by an intensity block consisting of 5’s on Mon, 3’s on wed, and singles on Friday.

Recovery modalities based on heat/cold when used chronically and regularly have been shown to blunt hypertrophy, so not a fan for bodybuilding. Also, I’m a much bigger fan of recovery modalities that have no potential downside and are convenient and free. Like easy cycling or light foam rolling, both of which have neutral to positive findings and are comparable in some studies to the expensive bio hacker stuff that gets more attention. Post workout massage and compression garments also have some positive data on acceleration of recovery from muscle damage, but massage used regularly is expensive and it’s also likely hit and miss in the real world as it’s probably dependent on the masseuse (you don’t want someone to go hard on you to the point you are getting sore from it).

Lastly, I’m loathe to advise a supplement unless there is extraordinarily positive and consistent positive outcomes shown by it, because as a category, supplements have small effects at best. So if you’re going to risk failing a drug test or having a contaminant that could negatively impact you, and the data indicates this is not that rare unfortunately, you better be damn sure it’s worth it, and then you should get something that is third party verified (informed sport/choice, nsf etc). For non-supplemental interventions that might have a small neutral to positive benefit, ultimately you need to consider the potential stress of managing that variable and weigh whether or not there is a potential for it to do more stress than benefit. This is where a lot of coaches and bodybuilders go wrong imo.

@paparazi257 Hey Eric, big fan! I was wondering, when someone suffers from an injury (like a herniated disc) is the region permanently compromised or is it possible to get full strength and functionality back in the region? I often read that the disc's integrity is no longer the same and more susceptible to injury.

I'd like to feel more confident and tackle heavier weights on my Squat and Deadlift but I'm too scared a minor break in form is going to spark my injury again. Is the "tolerance" or "wiggle room" for form now smaller now that the region is hurt?

@kerrysue Just as a reminder I have a PhD in sports science and a masters in nutrition and a masters in exercise science. I’m not a DPT or orthopaedic surgeon. So this is out of my scope. I’d advise reaching out to the team 3DMJ DPT Nick Licameli for better qualified advice.

That said, I am aware of research and the current thinking in musculoskeletal rehab, and there is a consensus that discs often do heal themselves and people often have herniated discs at one time or another and never knew it and were asymptomatic in some cases, or it healed on its own. Personal experience, I had a herniated disc in my neck in 2018 that put pressure on a nerve and actually resulted in about 50% strength loss in my right arm, and numbness and tingling, and was about to get surgery…but it resolved on its own after 2 months a few weeks before the surgery was scheduled, and I cancelled the surgery, thankfully.

@jj6211 That's great to hear, guess I can feel a bit more confident embracing heavier weight. I'll take it slow, make sure to warm up properly and make the strength gains back.

Thank you for the response!

Back