Question thread for our AMA with Eric Helms of 3DMJ!

@kay19 Not sure, they’re changing atm as I’m coming out of contest prep and on a new program trying to grow with more arm volume

@paparazi257 feedback on this routine?

monday - push:
Incline smith press (3)
flat dumbell press (3)
overhead machine press (2)
dumbell lat raise (4)
pec deck chest fly (2-3)
skull crusher (3)
tricep pushdown(3)

tuesday- pull:
lat pull-down (3)
pronated grip machine row (3)
unilateral machine row(3)
cable rear delt fly (3)
cable / dumbell hammer curls(3)
cable / dumbell curls alternate (3)

wednesday - legs:
Barbell squats (3)
hamstring curl (3)
leg extension (3)
calf raises (3)
leg raises (3)
machine crunches (3)

thursday - rest

friday - chest/back:
machine flat press (3)
pull ups(3)
Incline dumbell press (3)
unilateral machine row(3)
pec deck chest fly (2-3)
pronated machine row (3)

saturday - shoulders and arms:
dumbell shoulder press (3)
cable lat raises (4)
rear delt cable fly (3)
dips(3)
cross body tricep extensions (3)
preacher curl(3)
incline curl (3)

sunday - rest

@dawn16 There aren’t universally good routines, I can think of many scenarios where this would or wouldn’t be a good routine depending on the individuals needs. If you’re progressing on it, it’s good enough. I’d recommend my other resources to help you understand how to program for individual needs that I brought up in this AMA like Bodybuilding Program Design

@paparazi257 Hey Eric - thanks for doing this. What do you view as the top health benefits of strength training and what kind of training is the most optimal for health? As i’m getting older I no longer care to try and build more muscle but would love to maintain my strength and mobility as I age.

@babsm My pleasure:)

Super low bar if the goal is to train just for health. Lift 2-3x per week with low volume focused on basic compound movement patterns (not necessarily barbell big 3, but any squat/gait, hinge, push, pull) and maintaining sufficient strength to move your body through space and activities of daily living, and get 7-9k steps per day and you’ve maxed out health benefits. You also could choose to do aerobic exercise at higher intensity if you wanted, and get less steps.

@jj6211 Following on from this - do you have a recommended program for people who just want to train for health? My gf and mom etc all want to do a couple full body sessions a week to build some stronger bones and a bit of muscle mass, but I never know what program to recommend. What exercises, etc.

Always assumed mostly compounds and not going too crazy but wasn’t sure where to go from there.

@kay19 No I don’t, as I’m really a bodybuilding/strength sport scientist and coach, but ultimately it’s hard to get wrong in my opinion, as it’s not rigid. It should be fun, include the main muscle groups, and be progressive, but the worlds your oyster

@jj6211 Thanks Eric, helpful advice. Just as a follow up here - are you saying 7-9k is already sufficient for cardiovascular health and longevity? I’ve always wondered where cardio for health benefits asymptotes.

@paparazi257 Hi Eric, been following the recovery diet on the 3dmj side and everything is geared towards stage weight and how much weight loss on the week before peak week. How do you figure out what calories to set for someone 7KG over 8 weeks? I have extremely low testosterone, high fatigue and low libido

@laineyk Ultimately just keep gaining weight and staying in a moderate surplus until you are feeling recovered, that occurs for most people in the 1-2 month range if you’re up 5-10% over stage weight (or shredded weight) but not all.

@paparazi257 Hey Eric, pyramid master extraordinaire, what would you say to somebody that's currently in the trenches mental health wise but still going to the gym? I want to be like you, to participate in the sports of iron, and to have a masters someday on something iron culture related but it's not realistic atm. Big fan, you da man! Thank you very much!

@intotheforge Thanks, much appreciate the kind words. I’m not quite sure what you mean by “currently in the trenches mental health wise” are you saying you’re struggling with your mental health, or that you’re working in the field of mental health as your vocation?

@intotheforge Gotcha, first, I’m really sorry to hear that. I’ve lost some people very close to me with depression, I’m glad you’re open about it and I’m glad you’re going to the gym. Those are both huge. I think the biggest piece of advice I can give you is to emphasise your mental health. Get all the help you can. IME everything else will come after that. It’s like having a house without power: yeah a fridge and lights and appliances would be nice, but they won’t work until that’s sorted.

That said, once the power I back on man, a good mix of education and experience is important. A degree in sport/exercise/nutrtion science while working as a personal trainer is a great one two punch for accelerating learning.

Last thing I’d say, is that ime helping others is a great tool for helping mental health. Animal shelters, soup kitchens, doing AMAs (😉), etc.

Back