Strong Curves book promotes a woman who's 5'8 and 115 lbs as clients' "ideal" body. Is the weight estimate just off?

@dawn16 Yeah, I'd be willing to bet she is actually somewhere around 130-135lbs because of the amount of muscle she has.

Source: I am 5'8" and ~130lbs haha. I have also been 115 and there is no way that is her weight.

@dawn16
I think he guessed Jessica Biel's weight wrong

I came here to agree with this. I'm 5' and 115 pounds and I look smaller than her. So, while I have no idea how much she weighs, I can almost guarantee it's more than that.

I think (hope!) she's a little more than that, just because she's so muscular.

I'm 5 8"/121lbs and have very minimal muscle (ok none). Reference

@wantingtodotherightthing I'm 5'1 and 121 right now with a fair bit of muscle and about a 1/2 inch layer of fat over my abs. At 5'8, I would estimate Biel at 130 even. Muscle is heavy as shit.

I don't understand the need to report weights that are low. I was really hoping people would get over that by now. It's a number. She looks great and strong, and that's all that matters.

@eatsomegrub
I'm 5'1 and 121 right now with a fair bit of muscle and about a 1/2 inch layer of fat over my abs.

Goes to show how meaningless numbers can be: I'm about the same height/weight as you... but with a fair bit of flab and about a 3 inch layer of fat over my abs.

Probably a publicist or agent pulled a number out of their butt to send along with her head shots when she first started going on auditions and the number stuck. Why risk an idiot casting director turning Biel down for a part because her real weight looks "fat" on paper?

@ezra21 That just seems wrong. Jessica Beil is a major body crush for me, partially because she doesn't look 115 lbs at 5 ft 8. She looks much more muscular and unapologetically substantial.

@ezra21 LOL. I'm 5'8" and was briefly 115 lbs as a very very sick and quite unmuscled teenager. It's difficult to judge anyone's weight by pictures but I'd be shocked if that guess was anywhere near correct.

@lesliedellow Yeah I hate to judge but it just seems off to me. This woman is 5'8 and 117 and looks to have slightly less body fat than Jessica Biel and significantly less muscle. I don't see how you could maintain muscular thighs and butt at 117.

It's sort of worrying that I'm relying on fitness instructions from an author who can't gauge women's weight accurately but oh well hopefully it was just a slip-up.

@ezra21 In his defense, he might have just pulled her stats from the internet. This site has her at 108, and this one has her at 115. Given Brett's work with fitness competitors, I would think he'd have a good sense of a woman's weight, but he might have just gone with what was on the internet or her "listed weight" at that time.

@nena111601 It looks like the one on the right is popped forward with a slight bend at the knee and the one of the left is straight and locked back. It definitely looks weird, though.

@nena111601 Ha, it's a magazine. Of course she's photoshopped. After extensive reading regarding healthy weights for women, the consensus is that women should weigh 100lbs if they are 5' tall, and 5lbs for every inch after that. (Example - someone 5'4" should weigh about 120lbs) However, going about 10lbs below the calculated "ideal" weight might be okay, depending on a variety of factors such as age, activity level and nutrient intake.