What can I do when I’m young to keep healthy when I’m older?

@burialchoice I'm only 40, so I'm not sure how it'll work when I'm old.

I cannot agree more about the sunscreen - it's the best anti aging cream available. Plus, I had skin cancer removal this year, so again - sunscreen!!!

I play with my kids to keep moving in interesting ways. They're young enough that they play. We climbed a steep hill today, and we jumped on and off rocks. We also do balance beam curbs.

Smaller muscles can cause big problems as we age, so keep moving in interesting ways - hike on uneven ground, dance like no one is watching, log roll down a hill. Learn to give fewer fucks.

Also stretch.

@burialchoice Eat low glycemic foods and lots of fiber to maintain insulin sensitivity. (Fiber also helps cardiovascular health)

It's also super important to find a chipping coping mechanism that works for you.

@burialchoice The longer you stay active and the more active you are on a Daily basis improves your quality of life as you age. Also as a woman preventing osteoporosis is an important priority to prevent future injuries/fractures that can lead to immobility and increase likelihood of death.

@burialchoice 1) Don't worry about sh*t and 2) value your friendships and relationships.

I've spent a weird amount of the past year taking care of elderly people, some of whom have died during that time. The people who were healthier and lived longer did the above 2 things, even into old age. Those who were socially isolated and/or had bad mental health fell apart very fast physically.

I know this probably isn't what you were looking for on a fitness sub, but it's what I've seen. Nutrition and physical activity made surprisingly little difference. (Some of the oldest people I took care of, well into their 90s, ate crap their whole lives and barely ever exercised.)

@hughes To add on this, it seems like staying busy has a huge impact on longevity. It's probably related to other social and physical determinants (if you're working or involved in hobbies you're more likely to be socially engaged, and things like teaching and gardening require a lot of gentle physical activity) but a lot of people somehow go from 60 to 80 within a year of retirement.

Obviously working a super stressful job until you're in your 70s is probably counter-productive, but there's a reason why there are so many professors/teachers who are in their 80s and I doubt it's a coincidence that the elderly people in community bands and art classes tend to be in such good health.

@hughes Yep yep yep. These are called social determinants of health and they are well recognized by the public health world (though maybe not by the medical industry). Some of the main reasons socioeconomic status (wealth, race, education, etc) are so closely tied to health is because people who face discrimination or don't have enough money to feel secure have chronically high stress levels and experience social isolation. Other issues like lack of access/education on physical activity and nutrition, and difficulty accessing quality health care are also factors of course, but that doesn't take away from the importance of the psychosocial factors.

This page has some additional info in case anyone is interested. https://health.gov/healthypeople/objectives-and-data/social-determinants-health

@burialchoice Maintain consistent/quality sleep. Many (most?) younger people do not factor quality sleep in to their fitness lives. Set that pattern now and it will benefit you for years to come.

@burialchoice Looking at my family, I'd say stretching and just general movement.

My Dad is in his 50's and has always been active and had a workout routine for as long as he can remember. He's in great shape, but he says immobility from being inflexible and is already kicking in. He never prioritized consciously and intentionally stretching until a few years ago. He has to warm up for a long time before working out and has to really cool down and stretch thoroughly afterwards or he'll be stiff and sore within the day, even for a relatively easy workout. On days he doesn't work out, he notices how stiff he gets, especially in his legs and back. Meanwhile he has a friend who is an avid yogi who is still very flexible and mobile.

As far as movement, my grandparents are both 91. My grandpa was going to the gym to lift weights and swim laps up until he was 89 (and he only stopped because of Covid, he will likely get back to it soon). He still walks daily, maintains his garden, stretches every morning, and does simple dumbbell exercises at home with no signs of slowing down. Meanwhile, my grandma was always fairly sedentary. Now she can only walk/stand very short distances even with a cane or walker and has trouble getting even basic things done. It's sad to see her like this and the difference between them is stark.

I have a pretty intense exercise routine right now, but when I'm busy I feel good as long as I get a walk in and get a stretch in. Even if it's just a 30 minute walk on my lunch break and a quick 5 minute stretch before bed!

@burialchoice A body in motion stays in motion. Strength training and mobility work. Be strong and capable in functional movements like squatting, hingeing, and picking up things.

I’m still young so I don’t have first hand experience, but I look at my aunt who is only in her 50s and she struggles to sit down in a chair because she has such low musculature. Then I think of my old neighbor in his late 70s still skiing almost every day.

And then mental well-being I think :) Whatever you do to keep your mind healthy will translate to a healthy body.

@pallas Also - when you end up in the hospital for something (almost inevitable as you age) get up and moving as much and as soon as possible. Post op day zero, get out of bed. They are now even walking intubated patients! Moving your body every day is the key to health. Also - no/low alcohol, no drugs, no smoking. Reduce stress. Cardio (for heart health, as most people will die from heart disease). Plant based whole foods. Regular checkups, including mammograms and colonoscopies. Also - living in community. People who are lonely die sooner.

@idontlikeobama I have one of the big super goops — idk what type but it has a handle and came with a pump. If you are a regular at sephora and have a status with them, their sale makes it fairly affordable. I just keep it by the door and whenever I’m going out on my walk i lather up.