Are weighted pull ups even worth it?

vinod367

So I recently came across a podcasts from revive stronger where Dr. Mike was sharing Franco Columbo's view on weighted pull-ups link. So are weighted pull ups not worth it for hypertrophy if you can't do 12-15 reps of sternum to the bar pull ups.

Personally I think these are becoming more of an ego thing for me to strap on some weight for pull-ups when no one in the my gym is doing it. I recently added these as I was getting bored of doing pulldowns on both pull sessions of the week. A video of me doing them (weighing 72 kg in the morning and additional weight of 7.5kg). I add weight(2.5kg) once I get 10 chin above the bar.

What are your views and experiences with weighted pullups as a serious mass builder.

@vinod367 Weighted pull ups are the core of my back workout. I still aim to get at least 10 reps for any given weight. Any heavier and I feel it's a total body struggle where I lose focus on stimulating the lats.

@mstyle00 Do you include barely getting chin above the bar in your 10 reps like I'm doing in the final reps, or 10 clean reps before jumping onto the next weight?

@vinod367 I personally include getting my face to the bar for progression for this reason: it encourages going to and beyond failure. Once I barely get my chin over the bar I have somewhere between 1-3 reps left where I can get my face to the bar. Why leave those in the tank? Pull-ups are hardest in the contracted position but there’s lots being left on the table in the stretched position if you don’t count partials. Obviously you have to balance this intelligently: if you’re using body English and barely getting your face to the bar for every rep—yeah you gotta drop the weight.

@vinod367 No. I go up till I can see my mouth above the bar in the mirror on first and last rep. That's my own form check.

For unweighted I usually start with bar to chest and stop counting when I can't see my mouth.

For weighted pull ups I feel like you can be good on a rep and then you're totally toast on your next one.

I am also going light at 25lb plates or less.

@mstyle00
No. I go up till I can see my mouth above the bar in the mirror on first and last rep. That's my own form check.

That's a nice way to standardize the exercise, I'll give it a try.

For weighted pull ups I feel like you can be good on a rep and then you're totally toast on your next one.

Lmao so true.

@vinod367 I think this is just a matter of preference to track progression. I consider chin above bar a rep even if I'm pulling to my sternum. Anything below is a partial for me, which I also do.

@vinod367 I stop counting once I can't get my chin past the bar, but I still do another 2-4 partial reps. I just don't log the partials or use them for deciding when to increase the weight, but I feel like they help with progression. I do the exact same thing with lat pulldowns.

@vinod367 I think Dr Mike’s and others’ form policing is just as much an ego thing as adding weight. I’m about 80 kg and I added weight once I got to 12 reps on pull-ups. Why? Because it was the top of my 8-12 rep range. I’m not going to treat it like it’s some special lift that can’t be progressively overloaded like anything else.

Now I’m doing weighted chin-ups with a heavy set (4-6 reps) and a lighter set (8-12 reps). This is after I’m dumbbell rowing 102.5 lbs per hand for 8-10. Long story short: I think I’ve earned weighted pull-ups and it’s silly to gatekeep.

@keith841 You're right about the policing weight vs. form. The difference is that policing form is better for injury rates, longevity, and recovery.

I'm not saying it's the only way to train. I am saying that theoretically, if you could achieve the same stimulus with better form and less weight, you'd be silly not to.

Mike is often speaking in a very exaggerated sense in relation to optimal hypertrophy. I believe that when he poops on weighted pullups that he is speaking in that context. I have seen him talking about good training in a calisthenics context, and his base principles still apply, but outside of optimal hypertrophy, if you can do them with consistently safe form, go for it.

Just to add, obviously, we're also not all chasing "optimal hypertrophy ". Train safe is the important part.

@keith841 I doubt Dr Mike is policing weighted pull ups, if it were hip thrusts, sure, the man hates them, but weighted pull ups? Extremely doubtful, at best he's only suggesting an alternative that even Dr Mike admits is unlikely to be effective for the majority of people

@keith841 Makes sense. Also what are your views on weighted chin ups and other supinated back exercises compared to the standard pronated pull-ups etc. For a long time I've been avoiding supinated back work thinking it's not worth it due to more biceps(shitty logic, I know) but now I've come to realise that even pronated stuff (pulldowns, pull ups, rows etc) use a lot of elbow flexors, just the different ones.

@vinod367 My back is pretty developed, so I’m opting for supinated on one back exercise. My arms could use more development so I’m adding that in. Plus, it’s fun. And I think that element is underrated by lifters. You’ll try harder on a movement you enjoy. But I’d prioritize back (pronated grip) over supinated in most cases.

@davidmann1987 Ego lifting mainly means doing what you think is impressive over what gets the best results. For lifting its not surprisingly too heavy weight 99% of the time but there can also be people who think crazy range of motion is impressive so they always go for that sometimes at the cost of good results. Of course those are both extreme examples which are bad but in general if you had to choose between "form is a little too strict" or "weight is a little too heavy" the heavy weight guy might actually be making more progress. Progressive overload is one of the most important aspects to progress long term, adding weight is at least a step in that direction and strict form can often prevent it.

@vinod367 I attribute the vast majority of my back growth to tons and tons of weighted pull-ups. However, I would always recommend a narrow neutral grip because it gives a crazy stretch and seems to be the most protective for your elbows and to prevent tendonitis. I also really like pausing in the deep stretched position as if I'm trying to reach my hands over my head.

Lifting is not done in a vacuum. We're all humans, and if we're going to pursue a hobby that can be very challenging physically and mentally, you have to enjoy it. You know what makes you feel like a badass? Doing weighted pull-ups for reps when the vast majority of the population can't even do a bodyweight rep.

@haroldgreen Yea. Weighted pullups are definitely enjoyable for me currently but I'm also an optimal/efficiency kinda guy.

I also really like pausing in the deep stretched position as if I'm trying to reach my hands over my head.

I tried to not do this because of the conflicting reports that fully extended position is more pecs, but I'll give it a shot.

@haroldgreen Can you give me any info on how to learn about elbow strain for various lifts? I’m dealing with mild elbow tendinitis and I’m not sure what lifts or mods to make and avoid

@rico71601 I’m not sure there’s a one size fits all answer as every body is different. For me, weighted chin-ups (fully supinated grip) caused me to get pretty bad medial epicondylitis and janky elbows, so I stopped doing them completely and have no issues with using a neutral grip, even weighted. With that said, I used to do a ton of chin-ups and it was an overuse injury, not that chin-ups are inherently bad.

Similarly, dips and weighted dips started causing pain in my left elbow so I switched to machine variations for now and will try again in a couple months to see if it has gone away.

Gym maturation for me was realizing you don’t have to do any one specific lift at any point and certainly not all the time. There are always ways to train a muscle around injuries or in a way that’s specific for your body.