Gym guy (60s) yells at me (27 F) in gym

@nickblack That shit is not ok. Especially for someone that should know (old and with gym experience). Maybe he felt he was entitled to something? Maybe he’s a staunch believer in 30s rest and he “just knows more than you”? Whatever. Idiotic, especially if there were other machines free.

In situations like this, I like to play a bit dumb passive aggressive. “What do you mean so long? I’m sure you don’t mean that. I’m taking a couple minutes. ☺️” “No you’re taking 10min.” “No, I’m taking 2min dw, I can see it on my phone. ☺️”. Etc. Non-cooperative but peaceful stuff. It can be more disarming. Doesn’t work with everyone tho. In any case, keep the management in the loop.

@nickblack Sounds like a troll. He tried to rule you, but failed. It happened to me in a pub in San Fransisco recently where a guy came up to me and said I could not take pictures there and was very loud. The regulars next to me just laughed. They had never seen the guy and called him a troll. When he could not dominate me, he just left

@nickblack After the first 2-3 exchanges, a "FUCK OFF!" is warranted from you to him. Report him for harassment and let management deal with it, or at least they've been informed of the guy's behavior.

@nickblack I bet he wouldn't have yelled at a guy who was working out the same machine and taking long. Its disrespectful no matter what. Just have to use a different machine until its free. Also helps that the gym has more than one machine.

@nickblack I like to give people the benefit of the doubt in these situations. Maybe he just found out his wife has cancer. Maybe something else is going on…Not that it justifies the attitude, but we never know what someone may be dealing with. We all gave bad days. If you’ve been going to the same place and been amongst the same people for a couple of years, that would be my first response.

Alternatively, maybe you have been taking longer than you realize between sets. Many people lose track of time while scrolling. Many other people do hog machines while playing on their phone, so perhaps he mistook you for one of them.

Either way, he should not have acted that way, and you shouldn’t let some strangers attitude impact your workouts, in my opinion. 😎