My Handstand Journey: What I wish I knew when I began

@jesusloverr Great write-up, thank you for sharing. What is in your opinion so essential about wall handstands? I learned a 1m freestanding handstand without and felt that the balancing part is the part one needs to practice the most. So for any reasonably athletic person I would spend more time on balancing then on wall handstands.

Thanks again, take care and on to longer, more challenging handstands!

@sam2017 I went through a phase of numerous months where I transitioned away from using the wall, and after trial and error discovered that my general HS performance (ability to balance/keep good form) was worse on sessions where I hadn't used the wall to 'prep' my hollow body form in advance. That's it.

Obviously this is just my experience and so I'd encourage people to find what works for them. I'm certainly jealous that you can hold a 1m HS without prepping on the wall! Maybe that could be my next goal.

@jesusloverr Haha don’t get me wrong though, it took me long enough. Might have gotten there faster with more focus on technique and I certainly wouldnt discount a wall (or any method) out of principle. Disclaimer: I am not a formal teacher nor do I claim to have perfect handstands. Here’s a few observations, curious what you and others think:

I think there is often a strength/endurance approach to handstands online, whereas I think 90% of doing a freestanding handstand boils down to putting your center of mass over your hands and correcting the fact that you are falling constantly. Not sure if this is a good analogy, but I dont think babies learn to stand by using a wall either..?

So I would (theoretically) try and teach someone to kickup to handstand, to cartwheel out of one, to walk on ones hands. All those include that sense of balance. For me, the wall only has that fundamental stength/technique function, if someone lacks that before they start. But even then I would prefer starting them off with headstands before making use of the wall (I know I know, the baby analogy is indeed crappy).

Something else entirely, maybe to consider for a rest day, as (conceptual) cross training: my sense of (hand)balancing improved quite a bit when I learned to balance objects on my forehead. It’s a fun skill that employs the same principle.

@sam2017 I totally get your analogy and it does make intuitive sense. I’ve never tried to practice HS walking simply because I’ve read many times that it encourages bad form. But like you said it’s about manipulating form to find the center of gravity, so perhaps if the goal isn’t to actually HS walk, but to find balance, perhaps there is some merit to it. I might give it a go and see.

Your comment about balancing things on your forehead? I don’t quite get it tbh. Do you mean you are standing with your head back and putting things on your forehead and holding your balance in that position?

@jesusloverr You are right about the hazards of HS walking for good form. Dropping your weight ahead, arching the back, flopping the legs and catching the falls with steps can certainly instill bad habits. However, (correct) HS walking is much easier than standing still and if done well, it can certainly help teach you how to shift your center of mass.

This goes (again) a bit into the speculative realm, but (and all previous disclaimers about my limited expertise apply) Ive never felt that all practice has to be perfect all the time. It’s really important to focus on technique, but most of us are not professional gymnasts and simply want to be fit, have fun and be injury free. Quality training can certainly include a few attempts at handstand walking, or trying to hold a freestanding handstand as long as possible even if your form deteriorates halfway.

About head balancing: yeah its like you describe, although you can also use your nose or your chin to balance on. You best start off with a tall object, like a broomstick, because that’s easier (falls slower). Place on head, watch the top of it and move your head slightly towards where it falls to correct its balance. You’ve probably tried it on your hand as a kid. Cannot emphasize enough how my experience is anekdotal, but after balancing an object on my head, handstands feel much less multidimensional because your body only tends to fall back and forth (as opposed to all possible directions with an object on my head). Probably dont take it too seriously, but for a sore, quarantined rest day perhaps ;)

@sam2017 I appreciate the idea! I think you’ve really hit the nail on the head regarding training to “be fit, have fun and be injury free”. That’s quite literally what it’s all about.

I shall definitely throw in some HS walks from now on - thanks!

@mmodaaaily Wrist strength: GMB’s wrist prep before each session. And Antranik’s wrist strengthening exercises for daily strengthening.

As for shoulder strength, I’d recommend starting from something like downward dog scapular raises. If that’s too easy, practice building endurance against the wall by holding wall HSs for up to 30-60 seconds x multiple sets. And some kind of pressing exercise like pike pushups would also help, but may be tough for absolute beginners.

Does that help?

@jesusloverr Fantastic advice. I'll be saving this. I'm strong enough, but like you, it's the balance aspect that's the biggest block. Well done for achieving your goal on 10 seconds :D

@jesusloverr Just started this week, doing exactly the same as you

3x30sec chest to wall and 3x30 back to wall, each time trying to get off the wall using my hands and having a good position
Then I do 50 freestanding kickups.
All this daily with sunday off.

Most I Can hold is like 2sec, i'm trying to get used to kicking up in the right position and then try to balance with my fingers but often overshoot it or undershoot.
It still is very fun but the balance is the most challenging aspect for me.

@christianguy89 I was where you are for months and months. If you take anything at all from my post take this: don’t be disheartened! So long as you keep turning up you’ll nail it eventually. Good luck!

@jesusloverr Lol I actually got so carried away after your comment I went and trained for 1H straight and Injured my Index finger tendon without even realizing it, haven't been able to train for the past 2 days I guess that's what you get for being overkill haha.
I did make some nice progress in my form though

@christianguy89 Haha I’ll add a caveat to my comment: don’t be disheartened - as long as you keep turning up (and not overtraining) you’ll nail it eventually!

But good on you for being committed. We only learn our limits by testing them, so you’ve gained something from that experience.

@jesusloverr Great post mate! I've been on the journey for about a year and have finally managed to reach a point I can freestand for few seconds and will keep working towards my goals.
I second all points you discussed, keep up the great work!