My Handstand Journey: What I wish I knew when I began

@jesusloverr Best thing honestly is to try to find a gymnastics centre, if youre an adult obviously one that offers adult classes, preferably structured, best thing I did myself. Started last november, i am 33, doing front somersaults onto mats šŸ˜‚ but we all practice handstands, cartwheels etc everytime, and it helps to have that coach, and for Ā£5.00 a session where I go its well worth it

@naka THIS. There coincidentally is an adults gymnastics class in my city I reached out to before Xmas, but ended up not following through. Maybe post lockdown itā€™ll be worth ā€œlevelling upā€ and checking them out

@jesusloverr Definitely worth checking, there are places cropping up now that arent specifically gymnastics but offer that kinda thing as well as parkour and "aerial arts" etc

It does help to have a coach you can vibe with, my coach has become a mate, can take the piss outta eachother etc, makes a big difference. But hes always there to point out whats going wrong etc, with no pressure, and keeps it fun. Definitely worth it

@douqqoo Firstly - practice, practice and patience. It takes time, you canā€™t really rush it.

Secondly - practice your free HS close to the wall, so that if you fall you can catch yourself (with your leg) and find your balance again. This will prolong the length of time youā€™re upside down from a freestanding position. Obviously try to use the wall as little as you can

Thirdly - from back to wall, do finger pulls to bring your feet away from the wall (in hollow body) and practice holding this for longer periods

Hope that helps

@jesusloverr Iā€™m glad I stumbled on this. Just wore in my planner to start learning handstands. I like the way you write out your tips+pointers. It has no frills and is straight to the point and has realistic guidelines to carry you through the process. In a life where I seem to want quick highs and little effort required HS sound terrible but learning any new skill requires putting in that work.

@jesusloverr Thank you! My husband and I have both been working handstands daily while in quarantine. Iā€™ve always wanted to be able to do them so why not start while we have the time everyday?

Great tips!

@jesusloverr Hereā€™s my question and struggle.....I really want to do this but I also want to do my normal weightlifting workout routine. Do I do the handstand training before or after? Or do you forgo your regular weight training for handstand training?

@jesusloverr Hey OP, this was a great read. I agreed with a lot of your points especially the part where you mentioned training as often as possible (I know that as Grease the Groove) and I also try to do it when my wrists are feeling strong enough to endure a set. I want to incorporate these tips not only to handstands but in future moves I want to master ( front lever, planche, pull - up control). Seriously some good stuff and appreciate the post mate. Have a good one :D