Austin Dunham's "BodyWeight BodyBuilder 2.0" Programme Review - Big Thumbs Down

@chrispra58 You can go pretty far without diving too far into the science of it too, and there's no doubt he's very skilled, but it's hard to give proper programs and advice to people who are looking to really get more advanced. He has a few good videos on the basics but a lot of the videos are very click-baity titles just meant to be fun and enjoyable rather than informative.

I understand he has to make money somehow but I don't think selling programs is something I would support from him or most YouTubers.

@anthonyosa Yeah for sure. Granted it was when he was younger and a lot younger so I do not hold it against him in any way but he said the triceps are 2 muscles which is obvs wrong. The point is that his videos aren’t as technical as most other competitors have it. Like Calimove, FFAQ’s Tom Merrick etc.

I honestly watch him because he was actually the first youtuber I watched duetting in calisthenics. His home workout routines I watched dates ago and I saw him get bigger both on YouTube and irl lmao I’ve noticed he is more of a businessy guy now but honestly who am I to judge. The guy is living his best life. He isn’t really ‘hurting’ anyone. He does what he believes is correct and isn’t injuring or teaching people bad things.

@mamabear777 Mainly the low frequency approach. But the problem is the studies done on low frequency don’t have an Accommodating Resistance High Intensity group to be studied. I hope one day, there will be though.

@johm I think you have to factor in the intensity increase along with the frequency decrease. It’s not just lowering the volume. It’s increasing the intensity which means the load is still high, and then increasing the recovery until you can come back and beat it.

@dlr I agree. The truth is, muscle ups are hard. These days influencers videos are very deceptive and people forget how long and tough calisthenics is. This is why it gives such great results.

I'm turning 40 this year and have been teaching calisthenics for years, 12 pull ups is more than what 80% of the population can do.

In real life, one usually needs to be able to pump 20 solid pull ups to transition to a CLEAN muscle up. All the progression towards this goal is the whole point of the sport. Understanding the proper bio-mechanics, explosiveness and skill pattern is also important.

I am not sure what your current level exactly is, but if you are at working to get 12 pull ups, it's already pretty good and sky is the limit.

I'd suggest including pyramid training in your routines. These are great to add some progressive overload. You probably know the classic "1 to 10 - 10 to 1 repetition". Any variation is good. Good form is crucial and getting a good shoulder shrug on the way up and down is a key element to build a strong pull up.

I'd also add static holds at the end of each set.

There are endless cool variations to play with, using different movement difficulty (holding a chest to bar hold instead of a dead hang at the end of each pull up set), time (increase the speed of your movement), reps (increase the volume) and rest (less rest) challenges and mixing them together.

Finally I'd focus on wrists and shoulder mobility work, to combine the workout gains with solid bio-mechanics and connective tissue strength.

Training basic compound movements and using active stretching daily are key factors to long term progress.

Happy to chat more.

I can talk about this all day long.

I make free content, videos and ebooks here:

Web: https://www.onlinecalisthenics.com/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6x6TF6zDtD9oWjOaStcGCw

Instagram: onlinecalisthenics streetworkoutacademy

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/streetworkoutacademy/

@chrispra58 You are also right. There are actually many ways of doing correct pull ups and retracting/depressing can also work if done right. This will put more focus on the lats and upper chest. A 3/4 rep range of motion could also work with those.

The classic pull up I was referring too requires a bit more thoracic mobility and recruits a lot more core, serratus muscle group, and other small functional muscles.

@qularterly Usually based on what? I could do 8 clean muscle ups no kipping or bringings legs up, straight legs (pause at the bottom as well to limit momentum), but I could only do 12 pull ups in a row (a year ago). Probably because I'm more explosive. I also do muscle ups the chris heria way, meaning I do an explosive pull up to my waist and then I transition

@lendeborg Yes the shot gun muscle ups are awesome too. Good job on those 8 cleans.

The numbers I mentioned are a reference marker but there is no absolute in the universe :)

I would assume you can do more than 12 pull ups given your muscle up performance.

Since you seem very explosive, endurance is one of those things that can be improved with the right protocol.

There is a good method to increase your amount of reps:
  • Take your max reps, for a given movement.
  • Take 80% of that set and make it you first training set
  • Build a movement specific, decreasing ladder routine from that number.
  • Repeat each set 3 times
Example:

If you can do 12 pull ups. 80% of 12 is roughly 10.

So your pull up training can be:
  • 10 reps x 3 sets
  • 9 reps x 3 sets
  • 8 reps x 3 sets
  • down to
  • 5 x 3 sets
  • ...and down to 1 if you still have the energy.

@dlr You can be advanced and you will always do the basics. (Push ups, pull ups, squats, dips etc) just with a progression for your level.

But I would have bought the fitnessfaq or calimove ones. Try to charge back.

@dlr I feel that way just about every time I pay for a program.

The only program I've really benefited from was when I hired a personal trainer for 8 weeks of one on one instruction on mobility + kettlebells. Saw a ton of gains there and definitely felt like I got my $300 worth.

Been a about 2 years now, might hit him up again when the quarantine is all over and have another round.

@dlr Paying for youtubers programs is like paying for free info a there’s tons of info out there

AthlenX or whatever Jeff Cavalers channel is has some decent bodywieght videos

Heck some older videos of people working out when they had nothing but the park are golden - check out domonik who does the work outs in that wooden cabin or young Fortress videos (dude was 16 or so and jacked from body weight - had straight to the point videos before religion got the best of him)

As cringy as it sounds I even watch some of kinobody videos - what can I say high production value - but those side to side pull ups he had on the other day you definately feel the intensity

@dlr Sad to hear that man, but it's a valuable lesson. Most products like this are a BS cash grabs.

There's plenty of books available, with much more information, and for a fraction of the price of these crappy courses.

A good book that will help you is Bodyweight Muscle by Anthony Arvanitakis. It has a 6 month training program from beginner to advanced. He also explains how your body builds muscle, explains rest periods, super sets, nutrition, etc. I got a lot out of it.

The book is free with a free trial of Kindle Unlimited and you can download it to your phone immediately.

Back