People told me l’m doing junk volume. I’ve never seen such fast gains though

@thejustlivebyfaith Yeah that was a bad example. But on the other hand Arnold would train 5 hours per day, Michael Phelps 5-6 hours per day, Kyrie Irving 6 hours per day.

You tell me, is it that they are all genetically superior, or are they superior because they worked harder than everyone else? 9/9 jacked af natty guys I know all do 10+ hours per week. For years I thought I had bad genetics. Nope, just didn't know how far you could push yourself

@dawn16 I personally train 10 hours total (including other form of exercise) a week, but I believe higher duration should not usually be considered volume, more so a necessity. Intelligent programming and fatigue management will naturally lead to higher duration

@dawn16 Michael Phelps and Kyrie Irving aren’t body builders, we’re talking about muscle growth and hypertrophy. As for Arnold I guarantee you he would be the same size or even bigger if he did less. Second of all, are you Arnold? Stimulate the muscles don’t annihilate. Obviously you could do more but there’s a balance between muscle breakdown and growth and if you breakdown too much your body’s main focus is to use all its resources to get back up to baseline, making it harder to grow

@sudesh .. you must have missed what I’ve written. I’m one of the most jacked in my gym. Arms are far beyond 16 and I’m 6’2” so harder to attain that

Spent my first 5 years following the regular advice online that you shouldn’t work that hard. Was small til I learned the most jacked in my gym did 12 hours per week and slowly worked my way up to that

@aatif Your tendons get stronger as well.. I’ve had no problems lifting that much. Looking back idk how I ever thought doing one exercise each of lat pull downs, rows, biceps, and reverse peck deck flyes would do shit. Such little volume.

@dawn16 I realize that. I'm a physical therapist.

But to massively increase your volume in a short period of time can easily exceed the ability to adapt and recover. If you build up over time and condition yourself to it, the body can be very resilient.

@faetalesprincess It’s possible that your routine is working great for you. It is also possible that if you had slightly less volume, slightly more intensity, or some other change that you would be making better progress. The point is that there is no “perfect” or “optimal” setup. Different people respond differently to training styles.

It is also very doubtful that you have put on 9 lbs of 100% muscle in two months naturally after having already trained for 4 years. Your diet also can’t have been the exact same unless you lowered your activity level, as you would have to be in a caloric surplus.

@sisi When I looked around my gym just now I’m wondering which of you guys are the type to post this stuff. 95% of guys make very little progress.

How jacked are you? I’m 205, 12% body fat and one of the most jacked in my gym, and I do more than OP.

I’ve had several people say “dude you work out too much” and “you’re at the gym before me and still here when I leave every time”. Yeah, that’s why I’m jacked af and they’re not.

@dawn16 Agree lol. I spend upwards of 2 hours just doing biceps and I can almost curl my body weight. I don't see anyone else at the gym that can come close to me on that level. All these people that talk about junk volume and being done with the gym in an hour... their physiques reflect their attitudes.

Every jacked guy I know and talked to all share one thing in common. We put in at least 10+ hours in the gym weekly. Everyone seems to know how important consistency is but don't realize volume is just as important.