BWF Primer Build-up Community Event: Day 8

dontdosadness

Welcome to Day 8 of the BWF Primer Build-up!​

(IF YOU ARE JUST JOINING US TODAY, CLICK HERE TO JUMP TO DAY 1!)

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5

Day 6

Day 7

Day 8 (Today!)

Day 9

Day 10

Day 11

Day 12

Day 13

Day 14

Hey folks, Nick-E here. Check us out! Starting our second week of training. Good job officially breezing past the halfway mark of the community exercise event!

Without further ado, lets jump right into what we're going to be doing today:

- Learning a new movement. Squats! Ostensibly simple, yet deceptively complex!

- Adding some squats into our workout!

Today's Learning: How to do Squats​

Squats, as mentioned above, seem like something that would be very simple to do. They seem only slightly different to sitting down into an invisible chair (something we do with visible, real chairs all the time!).

However, the technique is just different enough that it's a bit tricky to get the hang of without a good bit of practice, and out of all the movements in this routine, it is the one that the most people are likely to experience issues with due to insufficient mobility. In particular, tight ankles and hips are often the plague of the squatter, from beginner to advanced. Luckily, using the guide below, you should find a form and/or variation of squats that works for your current level of mobility.

Check it out here (Nick-E's Squat Tutorial)

Just to emphasise, if you can't get it right away, don't get frustrated or discouraged. It will most likely be mobility moreso than coordination that is limiting you.

Workout #8:​

Exercise
Sets/Reps
Rest
Squats
2x5
60s
Glute Bridges
2x7
60s
Rows/Reverse Push-ups
2x9
60s
Push-ups
2x11
60s

(REMINDER: IF YOU ARE FAILING ANY OF YOUR SETS, OR EVEN PUSHING CLOSE TO FAILURE, YOU ARE WORKING WAY TOO HARD. PICK AN EASIER LEVEL OF INCLINATION/EXERCISE VARIATION THAT YOU COULD DO SEVERAL MORE REPS OF IF YOU HAD TO. THE FOCUS OF THIS PHASE OF THE PRIMER ROUTINE IS ON TECHNIQUE PRACTICE AND LEARNING, NOT PUSHING YOURSELF TO YOUR LIMIT OR EVEN CLOSE. IF YOU PUSH YOURSELF TO FAILURE 6x A WEEK FOR TWO WEEKS YOU WILL BE MASSIVELY OVERDOING IT AND BURN OUT QUICKLY.)

Ok, I did it!​

Congratulations!

If you'd like, we'd love to hear your thoughts about your workout in the comments, as well as any questions you have about the concepts or forms you learned today.

Alternatively, we've set up a new 'beginners zone' in our communities' discord server, so you can come chat with other new exercisers in a friendly environment, with friendly helpers with experience with exercise that have volunteered to answer any questions you may have!

https://discord.gg/5MsaChT3YF

@dontdosadness With your instructions I was finally able to do squats without knee pain.
I guess that’s what happens when you „work out“ with apps like Nike Training Club.

Thanks so much for putting all this together!

@dontdosadness I had to do the sit squat, but i was definitely feeling the effort from that one. Thank you for including all of the variations and not preemptively passing judgment. =)

@ajflyguy7
  • Spine straight from shoulders to tailbone (no rounding in the lower back, especially)
  • Heels and forefeet firmly planted on the ground
  • Descend until the crease of your hip is below the top of your knee (or as deep as you can without rounding)
This is from Nick-E.com from the dudes website he tells you

@dontdosadness I had ankle surgery back in November and my PT says squats are great and I’m clear for regular activity. I have ankle mobility issues from the hardware and my right hip is stiff as well. I Does anyone have any ankle/hip specific warm ups to help me get more flexibility?

Many thanks

@dontdosadness Finished day 8 today

Doing the rows with a bedsheets is killing my fingers. Will using rings alleviate that, or do my fingers just need to get stronger?