I can't afford enough protein to grow muscle

mcl123

Hello everyone.

I'm 26, weigh 78 kg, 1,82 m tall, and have been doing muscle training for 4 and a half months.

I work out at home every other day (1 hour/1 and a half) with a set of dumbbells: Monday (chest and triceps) - Wednesday (back and biceps) - Friday (shoulders and abs) - Sunday (legs)

However, I currently can't afford enough daily protein to facilitate muscle growth (which, if I understood correctly, should amount to 120-170 g of protein per day, based on the recommended 1,6-2,2 g of protein per kg of body weight).

While I am already noticing some changes, I don't really know what I'm doing... I try to eat as much protein as possible, especially during workout days. But I just can't afford that much protein right now and I feel like it's all pointless if my goal is to increase muscle size.

Will I still see results if my protein intake is less than ideal? What would you recommend?

Edit: Wow, thank you so much for your help, everyone! I appreciate every comment :) Now I have a better understanding on what to do. Time to bulk!

@mcl123 Don't overthink it.

If you lift and eat you'll get stronger and build muscle.

Optimal is ideal but less than optimal is still progress.

Just do your best.

@deandrade This is so underrated. Can't tell how many dudes I met who couldn't get themselves to start because conditions were not perfect.

Just get your ass in the gym, eat as clean as you can and you'll be fine.

@mcl123 The great advice right there- the effort still matters. Still, if it is cheap protein you want, maybe consider buying in bulk? Beans would be a crazy good place to start. If you have room I'm the freezer, bulk meat can also help if you are able to front the cost and save money over the time you use it. Skinless chicken breast is going to be the best overall for cost/low calories/protein, and it's versatile. I'll make soups, stir fry, sandwiches, grill it, bake it, tons of options. If you're not as concerned with low calories, thighs and drumsticks are stupid cheap in large packs.

Also, American cheese. It's not a bad way to boost protein in a meal if you find a cheap pack. Canned meats too if you find decent prices, tuna particularly or sardines if you like 'em.

Eggs if you can swing it, but those aren't exactly what I would consider cheap these days unless your area isn't suffering as much of the bird flu problem.

@mcl123 Studies show that .75g of protein per pound of bodyweight is more than enough to gain muscle, and that anything above that isn't very necessary unless you're an experienced and dedicated bodybuilder or on a steroid cycle.

That being said, anywhere between the RDA of .36g/lb and .75g/lb is going to build muscle, it's just that the .75g/lb individuals are going to gain more muscle, more quickly.

If you're only weightlifting three days a week with dumbbells only (I'm going to assume it doesn't go very high in weight) I'm going to assume that you're not on the 'experienced or heavy lifter' end of the spectrum, and the .36-.75g/lb range is more than suitable for you. Do the best with what you can.

But reaching your protein goal would be about 128g at that .75g/lb range, which should be very doable unless you're incredibly strapped for cash. Chicken breast can be bought in bulk from a freezer section at most big box grocery stores for a reduced price compared to fresh, eggs are cheap and contain 7g of protein per egg, food items like lentils, nuts and beans contain comparable amounts of protein per serving and can help bolster your diet outside of pure protein sources.

If you ate three eggs for breakfast, you're already at 21g of protein for the day, plus about 4-5g of protein in one to two slices of bread with your eggs. A 4oz serving of chicken breast contains about 35g of protein, serve this with a side of lentils and you're likely at 9g for half a cup, not including any small amounts or protein from vegetables or starches, lets say 4-5g for one cup of rice. If you had a 4oz portion of animal based protein, and some starch, you're now at another 40 or so grams of protein for dinner, and that puts you at 113g. If you add in snacks like nonfat Greek yogurt (14g of protein), peanuts (7g per serving), or hardboiled eggs (7g per), you can easily hit protein goals without getting anything abnormally pricey.

@citrus2 This should be upvoted more. I see so many posts where people are like "How do you get 120g of protein in 1 day! It's IMPOSSIBLE" and then we find out they have lucky charm with almond milk for breakfast and a single leaf of spinach for lunch and then a diet coke and a potato for dinner.

Eat like a goddamn adult for fucks sake.

@guitarguy00 1g is an easier figure to calculate and it’s gained a lot of popularity, but anything over .75g isn’t really that necessary, the benefits grow exponentially between the RDA and .75g, but after .75g the benefits increase drops dramatically.

Jeff Nippard actually had a good bit on this in his 5 nutrition mistakes every beginner makes video!

@ohkja Jeff Nippard has a ton of videos that deserve to be watched period, the dude is honestly the best fitness influencer out there in my opinion. He brings consistently research backed arguments to light, but doesn't forget the human aspect of training, and that while he is speaking to a bodybuilding audience, not all of his audience want to be crazy dedicated bodybuilders.

@mcl123 do as best as you can, you'd be surprised at how few people even with the means actually reach their ideal protein amount per day. youre seeing progress and thats dope, thats what matters. a cheap way to get protein is also sardines and eggs. good luck dude!