BWF Primer Build-Up Community Event: Day 5

dontdosadness

Welcome to Day 5 of the BWF Primer Build-up!​

(IF YOU ARE JUST JOINING US TODAY, CLICK HERE TO JUMP TO DAY 1!)

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5 (Today!)

Day 6

Day 7

Day 8

Day 9

Day 10

Day 11

Day 12

Day 13

Day 14

Hey gang, Nick-E here.

Now you've had a few days to get used to your upper body training, its time to give the bottom half of your body a little bit of love! This is an area of BWF that is a little bit more limited, because just from walking around and going up stairs, etc. your legs are already quite good at supporting your whole bodyweight, so the scope to work them even harder (given that you only weigh so much) is much more limited than with weights, but there's still quite a bit to do before you've 'maxed out' your exercising potential within bwf, so to speak!

So today we will be doing:

- A reading on how to do Glute Bridges

- A workout with push-ups, rows, and glute bridges!

Today's Learning: How to do Glute Bridges​

Today's form reading will actually be quite short! The Glute Bridge is a relatively simple movement.

Check it out here (Nick-E's Glute Bridge Tutorial)!

As you'll see in the guide there are multiple progressions available to you, but for now we are going to start with the standard two foot glute bridge. As you progress, you can move on to the single leg variation! (Once you're all done with that in a few weeks, you can play around with the hamstring bridges mentiond at the end of the guide, and even eventually move on to hardest bridge variation: the single leg hamstring bridge curl. oooooh, spooky.)

Workout #5:​

Exercise
Sets-x-Reps
Rest
Glute Bridges
3x5
60s
Rows/Reverse Push-ups
3x7
60s
Push-ups
3x9
60s

(REMINDER: IF YOU ARE FAILING ANY OF YOUR SETS, OR EVEN PUSHING CLOSE TO FAILURE, YOU ARE WORKING WAY TOO HARD. PICK AN EASIER LEVEL OF INCLINATION/EXERCISE VARIATION THAT YOU COULD DO SEVERAL MORE REPS OF IF YOU HAD TO. THE FOCUS OF THIS PHASE OF THE PRIMER ROUTINE IS ON TECHNIQUE PRACTICE AND LEARNING, NOT PUSHING YOURSELF TO YOUR LIMIT OR EVEN CLOSE. IF YOU PUSH YOURSELF TO FAILURE 6x A WEEK FOR TWO WEEKS YOU WILL BE MASSIVELY OVERDOING IT AND BURN OUT QUICKLY.)

Ok, I did it!​

Congratulations!

If you'd like, we'd love to hear your thoughts about your workout in the comments, as well as any questions you have about the concepts or forms you learned today.

Alternatively, we've set up a new 'beginners zone' in our communities' discord server, so you can come chat with other new exercisers in a friendly environment, with friendly helpers with experience with exercise that have volunteered to answer any questions you may have!

https://discord.gg/5MsaChT3YF

Cheers,

Nick-E

@dontdosadness I thought the glute bridges were going to be harder because I have a lot to lift in my abdomen. It was harder to get up off of the floor (after exercising) than to do the reps. =)

I can feel the effects of the routine. Good stuff.

@dontdosadness I got started late and am currently on Day 2. Would it be better to stick to one day's lesson per day (and if I'm good, always be 3 days behind) or try to jam multiple lessons into a day or two so as to get caught up and be able to participate in the community in a more timely fashion?

I'm thinking the latter.

@dbchleqz01 Loads of people did not start "on time" when day 1 was posted. Most, I would wager. So don't worry, being behind the most recently posted day does not preclude you from participating in the community! If it's about commenting on the threads in time, come onto the discord, people are talking about day 1, 2, 3,4 and 5 all at the same time and checking in with their completed workouts, and posting form checks!

With that in mind, I'd recommend you leave it to one day's lesson per day rather than trying to cram.

@dbchleqz01 Stick to it as written, one day per day would be my recommendation. The goal is to ease you into things and work on form; working out every day as a beginner means working far below your capabilities.

Feel free to read ahead though, you can still participate in discussion as each day's exercises and concepts are carried over.

@dontdosadness Nothing but thanks for all of this. I never looked at my dining room table and thought it would be a good double up as a home gym.

The rows, the push ups. Perfect. I might be a day or 2 behind but I'm really enjoying the simplicity and learning behind what you are putting out here.

Thank you.

@dontdosadness I dont know if this is a dumb question but I'm trying to do the bedsheet rows however I do not have very sturdy doors in my home, is there any chance of breaking the doors doing this exercise?