BWF Primer Build-Up Community Event: Day 6

dontdosadness

Welcome to Day 6 of the BWF Primer Build-up!​

(IF YOU ARE JUST JOINING US TODAY, CLICK HERE TO JUMP TO DAY 1!)

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5

Day 6

Day 7

Day 8

Day 9

Day 10

Day 11

Day 12

Day 13

Day 14

Hey folks! Nick-E here. Last workout of the week before you get a rest day tomorrow! Well done for making it this far.

Today we'll be doing:

- Some reading about how progressive overload works practically during bodyweight training

- Your second workout with glute bridges in it!

Today's Learning: Progressive Overload Specifically for BWF.​

So Progressive Overload was briefly touched on in Day 2, as a way to keep the SAID Principle working for you over a long period of time. But today we're going to actually go over how progressive overload works, and particularly how progressive overload is achieved in bodyweight training.

So we established in day 2 that progressive overload is the process of always keeping the intensity of exercise you are doing one step ahead of your bodies' ability to fully adapt to it. Like a carrot dangling in front of a donkey. It never quite catches up.

For strength training, the main method of progressive overload is gradually making the exercises you do 'heavier', over time. (The quotation marks around 'heavier' are key for us.)

If you were performing weight training, this would be very straight forward, and would simply involve increasing the weight of what you are lifting by a very small increment on a regular basis (e.g. an increase of 2.5kg every session or every week).

However, you can't do this with bodyweight fitness, because you only weigh as much as you weigh. Because the total weight of your body can't be freely manipulated like a dumbbell or barbell, you have to get clever with using leverages to intensify the load put on the muscles*, even though your total bodyweight does not change*.

The best example of this is the push-up, and you all have been using this principle already in your workouts.

We all started on Day 1 learning how to do push-ups. It's very likely that almost none of you doing this challenge were already able to do a push-up on the floor with good form upon starting the program. However, in order to adjust the push-up to make it appropriate for anyone's strength level, we changed the level of inclination.

This works because in a push-up position, your weight is spread between your hands and your feet. The higher your hands are relative to your feet, the less weight is on your hands and the more is on your feet. Think of it like a see-saw. So if there is less weight on your hands, you have to push less of your overall bodyweight when you do your push-up.

What you do to progressively overload your push-up from here, is over time you will gradually decrease the height of what you place your hands on to do the push-ups until you are doing them on the floor!

(Fun Fact: By the time you are doing push-ups on the floor, you will be pushing roughly 65-70% of your bodyweight)

Beyond the full floor push-up, there is a small scope to continue to put the feet higher than the hands to continue this process, but not much. Progressive overload for push-ups gets a bit trickier after this point. You will have to move on to a new exercise or variation of exercise when the time comes to progress again.

And this is how progressive overload most commonly works in BWF. You will have a list of exercises that work the same muscles (sometimes with varying emphases on those muscles, but nonetheless) that get progressively harder and harder through creative use of leverages, and you will go from one to the next as you get stronger.

However, the jump in intensity between these exercises is much steeper. Unlike a dumbbell exercise, where you can go from 10kg, to 12kg, to 14kg, in easy small increments, progressing from one variation to the next in BWF can feel like going from 10kg to 20kg all at once.

Therefore, we need to have a method of bridging that gap, and that's where rep progression comes from.

If you can only do 5 reps of an exercise, doing 5 reps of a significantly harder progression is just way too hard. But if you can do 12 reps of an exercise, doing 5 reps of a significantly harder progression then becomes quite easily doable. That is why within BWF, all exercises will have an inbuilt rep progression before moving on to a new exercise. Just like you have been doing now!

In this program (The BWF Primer) The rep range for your upper body exercises is exactly that. 3 sets of 5-12 reps. Once you hit 3x12, you would move up to a harder exercise, for only 3x5 reps and repeat the process. In the interest of this first 2 week period being about learning moreso than hard training, you will not be progressing the exercises once you reach that rep range. But once you move on to the full program, you will be!

Workout #6:​

Exercise
Sets-x-Reps
Rest
Glute Bridges
3x6
60s
Rows/Reverse Push-ups
3x8
60s
Push-ups
3x10
60s

(REMINDER: IF YOU ARE FAILING ANY OF YOUR SETS, OR EVEN PUSHING CLOSE TO FAILURE, YOU ARE WORKING WAY TOO HARD. PICK AN EASIER LEVEL OF INCLINATION/EXERCISE VARIATION THAT YOU COULD DO SEVERAL MORE REPS OF IF YOU HAD TO. THE FOCUS OF THIS PHASE OF THE PRIMER ROUTINE IS ON TECHNIQUE PRACTICE AND LEARNING, NOT PUSHING YOURSELF TO YOUR LIMIT OR EVEN CLOSE. IF YOU PUSH YOURSELF TO FAILURE 6x A WEEK FOR TWO WEEKS YOU WILL BE MASSIVELY OVERDOING IT AND BURN OUT QUICKLY.)

Ok, I did it!​

Congratulations!

If you'd like, we'd love to hear your thoughts about your workout in the comments, as well as any questions you have about the concepts or forms you learned today.

Alternatively, we've set up a new 'beginners zone' in our communities' discord server, so you can come chat with other new exercisers in a friendly environment, with friendly helpers with experience with exercise that have volunteered to answer any questions you may have!

https://discord.gg/5MsaChT3YF

Cheers,

Nick-E

@dontdosadness Done!

I gotta say this is very well designed so far and im enjoying the readings. I used to work out very regularly but stopped due to injuries and every time I've tried to start up again I let it drop because I tried to do too much on returning. This feels like a perfect ramp up to a whole workout.

@dontdosadness I've read over Day 5's explanation of glute bridges a few times and feel like I am following the cues correctly. They feel very easy. Is there a way to confirm I am activating my glutes correctly?

@paul01 Bret Contreras’s advice to squeeze the glutes in the the top position and hold for 3-5 seconds on every rep helped me a lot with glute activation.

This would add time under tension, though. So I don’t know if this would increase the work load too much for this primer routine.

@dontdosadness Complete. I like the element of surprise to the workout, I don’t open it until ready to do it each day - and just write down the exercise in my calendar and do what is front of me. I think my big limiting factor before was feeling intimidated to know what to plan for, etc.

@fredric777 Don't be scared. it's going to be just fine.

You're not graduating to the RR in a week anyway, so relax. After the week you start the actual primer routine, after that you might move to theRR when strong enough.

@fredric777 Like Smiley said, don't worry. This is the build-up to the full Primer routine, which you will continue to do 3x per week until you hit the 'graduating' strength standards, at which point you move on to the RR and it will be much easier to get into.

@dontdosadness About the one-legged variations: How many repetitions should I aim for? The gluten-bridge will soon be too easy - when I can do 3x12 without problem, should I then try to do 3x5 with each leg, or "3x5" for both legs, so 3x2 for every leg? Should I do the set for the second leg directly after the first leg, or with 60s in between?

@beliall For all one-side exercises, the sets and reps applies for each leg, so 3x5 one leg glute bridges is 3x5 on left leg, 3x5 on right leg. You don't need to rest between legs, as it sort of counts as 'one set'.

@marcusfetzer It depends, on the volume of work you do in your sessions relative to your recovery capacity. In some cases, and for some people with highenough work capacity, cardio on off days is ok. For others, it's not. Once you are on the full Primer rather the build-up phase, after a week or two of 3x per week training at a normal intensity, feel free to add 1 cardio day and see how well you recover, if that goes well, go for 2 cardio days. I wouldn't add more than that.

Generally speaking, even for people with a big training age and high recovery capacity I'd always recommend atleast 1 day of COMPLETE rest, but beginners often need far more than than (2-4 days rest).

@dontdosadness So does this mean if Im able to do 3x12 normal push ups with clean and perfect form. Then only I should progress to a slightly harder variation, say diamond pushups or decline pushups with 3x5 in the beginning?

@tree320 /@broadpendant has it exactly right. Couldn't have said it better myself :)

The first few sessions of any new progression may even feel a little *easier* than the last few sessions of the previous one. This brief period of lower intensity makes it much easier to familiarise yourself with the new form, so when you push yourself in the higher rep ranges, its easy to do so excellently well.

@tree320 I'm not Nick so don't take this as gospel but yes. If we do progressions with the same rep ranges the degree of intensity change between the progressions can be quite large.
Reducing the reps and starting the rep progression again when you move onto a new exercise progression helps reduce the change in intensity. This helps you like focus on your form and technique with the harder progression, in turn reducing risk of injury and all that jazz.

I'd recommend always starting from the lowest rep range when moving on to a new progression, with diamond pushups the form is actually a decent amount different to a regular pushup, and having this period of lower intensity sets let's you focus on your technique so you're hitting all the right muscles in all the right ways.
Again Nick is the man with the plan here :)

Back