BWF Primer Build-up Community Event: Day 11

dontdosadness

Welcome to Day 11 of the BWF Primer Build-up!​

(IF YOU ARE JUST JOINING US TODAY, CLICK HERE TO JUMP TO DAY 1!)

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5

Day 6

Day 7

Day 8

Day 9

Day 10

Day 11 (Today!)

Day 12

Day 13

Day 14

Hey folks! Nick-E here.

So yesterday was a whole lot of reading. Some of you may have got the hang out of it, some of you may not have. Some of you may be in the unfortunately common camp of 'that felt way too easy I don't think it's even doing anything'. For those in the last 2 camps, don't worry. Like I mentioned in the last post and also in the deadbug guide, it takes some practice to learn properly, and it is not simply holding the position however you can that's hard, it's the exact process of bracing with the right muscles to hold that position, with minimal air in your lungs. That takes a lot of practice and experimentation to figure out.

Anyway, today:

- Going back over the deadbug guide

- Another workout!

Today's Learning:​

As I've said a few times now, yesterday's reading on the Deadbug was a real doozy, so to cut you a bit of slack and not overwhelm you with information, your reading for today is to go back over all that information, take your time to practice all the different breathing and core activation drills to really consolidate all the info best as you can.

Deadbug Guide

Workout #11:​

Exercise
Sets/Reps
Rest
Deadbugs
3x10s
60s
Squats
2x8
60s
Glute Bridges
2x10
60s
Rows/Reverse Push-ups 2x12
60s
Push-ups 2x12
60s

(REMINDER: IF YOU ARE FAILING ANY OF YOUR SETS, OR EVEN PUSHING CLOSE TO FAILURE, YOU ARE WORKING WAY TOO HARD. PICK AN EASIER LEVEL OF INCLINATION/EXERCISE VARIATION THAT YOU COULD DO SEVERAL MORE REPS OF IF YOU HAD TO. THE FOCUS OF THIS PHASE OF THE PRIMER ROUTINE IS ON TECHNIQUE PRACTICE AND LEARNING, NOT PUSHING YOURSELF TO YOUR LIMIT OR EVEN CLOSE. IF YOU PUSH YOURSELF TO FAILURE 6x A WEEK FOR TWO WEEKS YOU WILL BE MASSIVELY OVERDOING IT AND BURN OUT QUICKLY.)

Ok, I did it!​

Congratulations!

If you'd like, we'd love to hear your thoughts about your workout in the comments, as well as any questions you have about the concepts or forms you learned today.

Alternatively, we've set up a new 'beginners zone' in our communities' discord server, so you can come chat with other new exercisers in a friendly environment, with friendly helpers with experience with exercise that have volunteered to answer any questions you may have!

https://discord.gg/5MsaChT3YF

@dontdosadness So I am a day behind and I was doing the first workout with the dead bug exercise. I had a difficult time learning to isolate/activate the internal and external obliques. Are there any other resources that have more info about these muscles?

@christiansafezone Teaching this movement in person is so much easier. This guide Nick put together is the best deadbug guide you'll ever come across. He did his best trying to explain the cues and he did a wonderful job.

You'll just need to take it step by step, most people won't learn it that fast (in a day or two) on their own without a coach by their side. Just take your time and be patient.

Cheers!