BWF Primer Build-up Community Event: Day 10

@dontdosadness I'm super happy to have found this guide. I know the point of this is to learn the technique, but I can see myself having more strength and control with these exercises. Even though I'm doing the modified push ups (and I know there's no issue with that bc it's an individual journey), I'm looking forward to trying this regime again with the standard push ups. :0

Something I just realized, maybe I'm speaking too soon with my personal experience but I found that the dead bugs weren't as tricky for me right off the bat, and in retrospect, I found myself in moments where diaphragm breathing came up. I'm not a vocalist (I'm a visual artist, lots of sitting lol) but I remember growing up that music teachers and friends would do breathing exercises.

Interesting how there are moments where advice applicable to bodyweight fitness can pop up, even if your everyday life may not center on bodyweight fitness.

@rdlew This. I’m a band director now, been a musician for 15+ years. I still do breathing exercises to engage the same areas as needed for this exercise. Good to see my training was multi-purpose!

@dontdosadness Done!

Todays reading was a bit more complicated, watched half a dozen videos about the breathing and think I have a good understanding of it. Raising my legs does cause my back to arch a bit, but I can feel my core fighting to stay engaged when that happens -- which seems to be the point.

@dontdosadness Missed yesterday, but I made it up for today. I don't understand how Deadbugs work but what I got from it is either pretend I'm squeezing out all the air in my body or that I'm constipated and hold that position for 10 seconds. Hopefully that works lol.

@dontdosadness Can anybody share more cues on how to contract the internal obliques? Learning deadbugs, I found two ways to pull ribs closer together:
  • Tense the sides of the abdomen; if you do it at one side only, the body will bend to that side. It also feels like the back is somewhat engaged
  • Tense something to the sides of rectus abdominis, near the lowest ribs. It's easier to make that movement if I place a finger there, slightly push and try to follow the movement with the muscles. Sides also engage there, but less than in the previous approach. Also it pushes ribs more down than to the center.
If I understand the "push fingers into the sides" cue correctly, the latter option seems more correct. But in this case there is almost no tension in sides, which seems to contradict the idea that bracing keeps the whole abdomen area fixed.