BWF Primer Build-up Community Event: Day 14 (Final Day!)

@dontdosadness What are the suggestions for the off days?

I've been thinking of doing something like this:
between a warm up and cool down to get some cardio in and to keep a daily routine. Would that be pushing too hard?

I should add I'm not in great shape. I skinny fat and new to strength work.

@dontdosadness Is this the same as the build-up in that you do each exercise three reps then move to the next exercise, or do you perform one rep of each exercise moving down the line and then repeat it 3x?

@133mwaymire Remember Day 9's discussion about rest periods? If you do:

Deadbug, 60s, Birddog, 60s, Pushups, 60s, Row, 60s, Squat, 60s, Glute Bridge, 60, Deadbug, etc. Etc.

You're now resting like 10 minutes between sets of a single exercise rather than 1, and so you're losing any of the benefit/adaptation you would receive from limiting your rest time to 60s

If you do:

Pushups, 60s, Pushups, 60s, Pushups, 60s

Then your body is having to work to recover from the last set (metabolic stress) and that will lead to better recovery adaptations (work capacity) that will serve you well in training once you move on to a more intense routine

@dawn16 The former of the examples is a circuit, and is not recommended. The latter is just normal set structure and is what is recommended. There is no reason to superset like in the RR because one of the reasons for the more brief rest in the primer is to build work capacity and keep workouts shorter.

@dontdosadness And we should go to failure in every set. If trembling is a sign of reaching failure for me, I should tremble at the end of each x reps of pushups. Then rest 60 secs and again tremble at the end of x pushups. Right?

@julienmarin Progressions for each exercise are listed in each of the exercise guides! They're not full exhaustive lists but I'll be making those some time or another.

We also have progression lists in the wiki you can check out!

@dontdosadness Some feedback would be to maybe add hyperlinks to the exercise guides for each individual exercise for each week (you have it here, but adding it to the others would be awesome). Otherwise, thank you so much for putting this together!

@dontdosadness I've been doing this routine for a few weeks now, good stuff, thank you much for putting this together! was wondering if you could recommend a mobility/flexibility routine for the off days?

@latexproblem First off: Happy cake day!

This is a general routine Starting Stretching .

keep in mind that mobility and flexibility are very individual. What you need to do depends on your goals and your weaknesses. For example: you want to practice handstands, but your overhead mobility sucks; then you should work on that specifically. Maybe you want to learn the V-Sit; then you should work on hamstrings flexibility and active pike compression. maybe you plan on doing manna; in addition to pike compression you need to work on shoulder extension mobility.

If that was too much, sorry.

Cheers!

@dontdosadness Such an awesome guide!

Any recommandation as to where how to progress Glute Bridges after easily doing 3x15 one-legged ones? Should I just continue with 3x16, 3x17, etc.?

@dontdosadness I know this is an old post but maybe someone will answer. Is it okay to do 4x a week? I loved the primer and am having a great time doing my first week full workouts! Was just wondering if it would be bad if i added a fourth day?

@dontdosadness Day 1-14 done, also day 13 and 14 check-in since i forgot to do it yesterday. First time I've ever tried actually working out willingly and for myself alone. Although it took me like 21 days to finish it since i took more frequent breaks cause of nausea and reluctance. Thanks so much for this!